charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging issue

I have been working on a 2006 Club Car DS IQ to customize it for a hunting and work horse. Here is what I have done so far: converted from 4 12's to 6 8 volt Trogan Ranger 160 batteries, installed a 30 amp voltage converter, head and taillight kit, charge meter, power accessory points, 6 inch a-arm lift kit with 22" tires, flip flop rear seat. The batteries were disconnected for several days while installing lift kit and painting.
    When I first got the cart I was suspicious of the OBC due to amber charge light cycling on and off while plugged into charger.
    At this point my cart wont charge. Charger clicks when cart is attached, charger hums and meter pegs to the right but shuts down after 5-10 minutes.
    Tried another working charger with same results. While trying the OBC reset sequence the reverse buzzer did not stop through the entire 5 minutes and there was no change in the problem.

I would welcome any thoughts on the issue.
    Updated by Williamww; March 9, 2014, 10:25 PM.

You did not reset the OBC nor did you disconnect the batterys completely. put a 12 volt charger on each battery for one and one half hours then try your cart charger again and give us the results. re check your battery wiring and make sure its correct.

Comment

I followed the instructions for resetting the OBC several times with the same results (reverse buzzer not shutting off). I'm puzzled about your comment that I did not disconnect the batteries completely. I removed the main negative cable and all other wires from the negative post on my #1 battery. I tried removing the positive end of the battery pack also and then got no reverse buzzer sound at all.

I am reluctant to charge my new 8 volt batteries with a 12 volt charger for one and a half hours. Each battery is testing (unloaded) at 8 to 8.5 volts and the battery pack is testing at 50.1 volts so shouldn't there be enough battery for the charger to engage?

I have checked my charger receptacle connections.

Comment

I understand your concern but just how could a buzzer keep going if there's no power?
        are you also pushing on the go pedal with the key on in gear?
        you must remember I'm not there, and you did not post that you had 50 volts on the batteries in the first post.
        now from your second post it sounds like the OBC has been reset.
        I will find a test for you give me a minute

Comment

Try this post

http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...v-charger.html

Comment

I do appreciate your input. I have replaced the charging receptacle with no change in my problem. Can you thnk of anything else I can try before I replace the OBC?

Comment

it does not sound like you did the test above did you

Comment

Since I had gotten the same exact response from a different charger I did not think it was a charger problem so I did not try the gray wire test. I remembered that the previous owner had told me that he had burned up a generic aftermarket charger before he bought the cc smart charger for it. When I replaced the OBC I realized that one of the smaller gauge black wires attached to the #1 battery negative terminal was loosely (twisted and taped) jumped from the black wire running to the fusible link in the charging receptacle. I don't know why someone had done his but am glad that the new OBC fixed my problem. I'm up and running the ridges in Arkansas. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Your posts are all over thhe place, first a smart charger does not use an obc, but yet you replaced the obc. If the black wire was loose why would you be pulling such high current ? That was shutting off the charger, and was it shutting off or tripping the breaker? Now which battery are you calling number one is this the battery that the lead goes through the hole in the obc?

Comment

Gaminde, I have read the posts between you and Willianww. I have recently purchased a 2011 club car and just started having charging issues. What i remembered with my old 1996 CC, I did charge each battery for approximately 1-2 hours. when i turned the key on, i noticed the low battery indicator was still in the red. I then hooked the charger up and it took about a minute to kick on. not sure when it turned off but went back out to the garage this morning and the low battery light was still? not sure what to do on this cart. There is a tow and run switch i know nothing about.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X