Maintaining 36 volt golf cart batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining 36 volt golf cart batteries

Hello. I’m brand new to golf carts and this forum. I’m a snowbird and I bought a manufactured home in a trailer park in AZ that came with a used EZGo golf cart..an older model. It has 6-6 volt batteries that I am going to replace. My concern is summer maintainance. We’re only in AZ for 4 months or so. The rest of the time the cart is parked in our storage shed in the AZ heat. I don’t have power in the summer so the batteries can’t be charged. Can I get a cheap solar system (run the panel wire through the window of the shed to the outside…it would be on the south side) and just maintain the charge. I don’t know how to match volts, amps etc. but wouldn’t a cheap 1.5 amp unit (saw one at Harbor Freight for under $20) just put a steady trickle charge into the batteries or is it more complicated. I’ve searched the internet for this and came up with nada. Any help appreciated.

I reckon new batteries, when disconnected and fully charged, can hold on to that charge for about 7 months while you’re over yonder. No tenderizer no nuttin. Now if you're thinkin bout a maintainer, reckon a solar setup could do the trick. What you can do is wire up three 12v solar battery maintainers to a couple of batteries each. That way, you're givin 'em a nice steady charge to keep em tiptop while you're away. Just remember to top off them water levels before you head out.

When talkin bout amps, it's bout bein gentle, like tippin your hat instead of givin em a hearty slap on the back. See, too many amps can overwhelm the batteries, causin em to get hot under the collar and wear out quicker than a desert sunset.

If you're settin up them solar maintainers, keepin them amps low and steady is the name of the game. That way, you're givin them batteries just what they need to stay healthy and happy for the long haul. Aim for one with a lower amp rating, like that 1.5 amp unit you spied at Harbor Freight. That way you're givin them batteries a moseyin pace to take in that charge without gettin all worked up.

Also, them there 6v batteries can handle a fair bit of charge before they start gassin and lettin off steam, but keepin' them amps low is key

Comment

Posted earlier by RideonTractorCart View Post
      I reckon new batteries, when disconnected and fully charged, can hold on to that charge for about 7 months while you’re over yonder. No tenderizer no nuttin. Now if you're thinkin bout a maintainer, reckon a solar setup could do the trick. What you can do is wire up three 12v solar battery maintainers to a couple of batteries each. That way, you're givin 'em a nice steady charge to keep em tiptop while you're away. Just remember to top off them water levels before you head out.

When talkin bout amps, it's bout bein gentle, like tippin your hat instead of givin em a hearty slap on the back. See, too many amps can overwhelm the batteries, causin em to get hot under the collar and wear out quicker than a desert sunset.

If you're settin up them solar maintainers, keepin them amps low and steady is the name of the game. That way, you're givin them batteries just what they need to stay healthy and happy for the long haul. Aim for one with a lower amp rating, like that 1.5 amp unit you spied at Harbor Freight. That way you're givin them batteries a moseyin pace to take in that charge without gettin all worked up.

Also, them there 6v batteries can handle a fair bit of charge before they start gassin and lettin off steam, but keepin' them amps low is key
      Well partner, you sure do have a way with words! Actually I got to hand it to you, your way with words is smoother than a fresh jar of molasses on a hot day. But hey... your amps and solar setups wisdom got me thinking, are you sure you're not secretly moonlighting as an electrical engineer??

Comment

Posted earlier by GolfCartGuru View Post

Well partner, you sure do have a way with words! Actually I got to hand it to you, your way with words is smoother than a fresh jar of molasses on a hot day. But hey... your amps and solar setups wisdom got me thinking, are you sure you're not secretly moonlighting as an electrical engineer??
        Well shucks! You sure know how to make a fella blush like a tomato in the sun! As for me bein a secret electrical engineer..well I reckon that's a mighty fine compliment! But truth be told, I'm just a simple fella with a knack for tinkerin

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X