Cleaning the Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the Carbs

I Just picked up a pretty nice/somewhat clean 1979 harley golf cart and i got a few questions... the carbs need a cleaning, i have never cleaned carbs before, is it fairly easy to do? Could i do it myself? (i know you have to pull it apart and soak all the metal parts for a day or two, im just unsure of how to get it back together, is that hard to figure out once all the peices are pulled apart?)

The cart will run (and move for 5-10 seconds) when you pour gas directly into the cyclinder, but the carbs must be to gunked up to suck up any fuel, as the fuel just sits in the fuel line trying to make its way to the carbs but just cant get there. When you turn the cart on and hit the gas the belt and clutch spin but not fast enough to activate the clutch and you can see the fuel in the fuel line trying to climb up to the carbs but there is not enough suction. Cleaning the carbs will fix that right?

Also, is the clutch on the 79 carts a wet or dry clutch? i havent really looked that closely yet, but i thought someone on here would be able to tell me...

The choke is seized up but the owner before me has put a little hand squeeze ball (not sure what its called) in the gas line to squeeze to get the fuel flowing (just like a old boat)... it doesnt bother me, but should i take it out and fix the choke or would squeezing the ball work the same as the choke?

Also, there is a cable on top of the carbs that has been unhooked from them (im thinking its the choke) its the cable that closes the flap on the carbs right behind the air filter.. (the closest cable to me when im standing on the passenger side) im assuming it was the choke cable and was unhooked because the choke is seized, but i just want to make sure, because if the choke does not work there is no need to have that cable hooked up right?

Sorry for all the questions... this is my first golf cart, and first time ever attempting to fix/work on any type of engine (im only 22 years old)... im doing this mostly for a learning experience, so i would like to do all the work myself if possible.

Im sure i will have plenty more questions tommorow when i actually start to work on the cart and attempt to clean it up, and i hope someone on here is willing to answer them for me, i plan on taking a few before pictures and a few after pictures... i plan on painting the cart and trying to get it looking as new as possible while spending as little $$$ as possible
Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X