Reverse/Forward problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse/Forward problem

I have a 1982 Harley Golf Cart. It runs fine in reverse, but wont take off forward. The starter turns both ways, but the starter does seem to run faster on takeoff when in reverse. Please give me a clue if anyone knows of this problem. Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken, glad to help out. Does it start up in forwared? Is it slipping? Please explain.
    Regards

Comment

reverse/forward problem

Further explaining the reverse/forward problem. The starter turns both ways, but it does appear to turn stronger in reverse. The cart fires easily and takes off good in reverse. Then in forward, the starter turns, the points fire, but it doesn't seem to spin fast enought to throw the clutch plates to make the engine engage and forward power the cart. The cart will sorta try to take off, but just doesn't seem able to get the jolt and run. Motor compression is around 120 lbs. I just can't understand why it runs fine in one direction, but not the other. Is it possible there is a problem with the starter/generator? Why does it turn faster when spinning in reverse? I am not sure if those problems are related, but they might be. I did have the starter/generator looked at (local repair shop), but that man said as far as he knew it was OK. Any information you can give is appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Comment

Sounds like your points are set wrong. If you choke does it make any difference? Did this problem just suddenly start? As for the starter issue this is common on forward/reverse spinning engines; as long as your battery is showing 12 volts, and the brushes are not worn on the starter you are fine.
        Regards

Comment

forward/reverse

The battery shows 12 volts, and the choke seems to work fine. I have ran the points from between 18 & 24 thousands. What about timeing? I am not sure how to time this machine. Anything you suggest is appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Comment

Try and set it as follows. Put a dial indicator on the piston and center it or get it as close as you can, then set the points to 022. If this doesn't do it let me know.
            Regards

Comment

Forward/reverse

Good Evening: Just a note to say I am still searching for an answer. I tried to set the points as you said, but results are the same. I am about at wit's end. Any other suggestions? Ken

Comment

Hmm, try to set this as follows carefully you will need a test light.

Take off the points and spark plug cover then rotate the piston to TDC and attach the test light to ground and points arm. Now rotate the engine counterclockwise past when the points close or the test light lights up. The test light should be off. Now turn the engine clockwise to the point just before the test light is lit. The tab on the points cover should be centered on the timing marks on the fan housing.
                Regards

Comment

Hi guys new to forum , 1978 hd got it one month ago, ran well for 2 weeks. Then fried wireing at start/gen and volt reg. Replaced harness and volt reg. Now i share same problem as Ken. Starts run in both direction, but very slow in forword, high rpm fast powerful in reverse , low rpm in forward. Wife tired of going backward. Please help

Comment

Posted earlier by motodego View Post
                    Wife tired of going backward.
                    I like that

As for your problem... it is 90% of the time a problem with the ignition timing being out of adjustment or the points. It seems the ignition timing is set good in reverse, but not in forward. And both have their own setting.
                    Regards

Comment

Matti , How do you set forward timing without changing reverse?

Comment

Either reposition your seat or steering wheel facing backwards. Hehehe. Just a joke.

Comment

Try this see if it helps .
                          Disconnect the DF wire from the generator and see if it starts in forward .
                          What happens is the voltage regulator sometimes shorts out and causes the generator to full field so it's trying to charge while its cranking ..

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          X