rewire ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rewire ignition

Does anybody know how to rewire the ignition on a 82 harley cart? The ignition switch is stuck in forward and would like to wire it another way. I would like to run a new basic on/off ignition and possibly use 2 solenoids, any help would be appreciated. I don't see any threads on this topic.
    Or is there a way I can jump the leads to make it go in reverse since it's stuck in forward?
    Updated by jjhoward; February 1, 2013, 01:23 PM.

JJ Im sure i could come up with something if I had a schematic of your system

Comment

Here is a link to my wiring diagram, Thx for your help! http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...y=100011&Page=

Comment

WTF What did I. Get myself into.
        Questions I have
        1 this is a gas cart?
        2 the gas motor runs both clockwise and counterclockwise?

Comment

Yes it's a gas and it does run forward and reverse

Comment

Ok lets see if I can explain:

FORWARD
            +12 volts to A1 through Arm coil in motor to A2, A2 is jumped to F1 though Field coil in motor to F2, F2 is connected to -12 volts.

REVERSE
            +12 volts to A1 through Arm coil in motor to A2, A2 is jumped to F2 though Field coil in motor to F1, F1 is connected to -12 volts.

now on yours

+ power from solenoid to F2 though field coil to F1, F1 goes up to switch and can be connected to either A1 or A2 at the switch, either forward or reverse and then either A1 or A2 goes to ground.

so in there example they are switching A terminals not F terminals it makes no difference. There are three wires on the switch that could be feeding ground I just can't tell from the schematic I would try to find someone with a cart and do a truth table like ezgo does on there switches/contacts.

this is a series motor with charging so both coils in the motor are always in series just reverse A or F coil only one.

So to make it go the other direction swap the two A wires either at the switch or the motor.

does this help at all
            Updated by gaminde; February 5, 2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Also the same place where you got the schematic they sell the ignition / f&r switch

Comment

Thanks, I think that's the way i'm going to do it, I kinda figured it could be done that way, It will save me $100 I'll just put a regular ignition switch on it and a toggle switch to change F/R.

Comment

I am all for changing things and making them better with today's technology, what kind of current do you believe is on those wires and do you believe a 10 amp toggle switch will allow that to work correctly ( standard toggle switch). So if a contact stick's on 1 pole and the other pole is switched what do you think is going to happen dead short. First why don't you mark all of the wires on the swhich really well then pull it out find any names or numbers do some Google research and see if you can source that switch.
                  that company has to be able to buy them somewhere see what a locksmith will charge to get it working (key) or maybe just get some lacquer thinner and clean it up inside and out. You have a classic cart keep it nice.

Comment

Do those switches come apart? we tried to get it apart but didn't want to break it

Comment

Posted earlier by jjhoward View Post
                      Do those switches come apart? we tried to get it apart but didn't want to break it
                      I have not seen your switch but older switches usually have an upper and lower halves, with tangs or fold over pieces holding them together sometimes you can bend them out and pull the two halves apart and clean the contacts with steel wool or a brass brush.

good luck! or just buy one $113 and be done with it or source it for 60.

Comment

very bottom of page second to last unit 40a 2posistion switch ?????????????

http://www.a1parts.com/switches/index.html

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X