Crawls in fwd and reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawls in fwd and reverse

I just picked up a 70's three wheeler and drove it around my neighborhood several time before parking it. It would cruise at good speeds and showed no issues. Went out the next day and it would fire but won't move in fwd or reverse. Drive belt looked loose so I bought a new one and put it on. Belt is tight now and the cart will go fwd and reverse but it moves at a crawl, engine doesn't sound as revved up as before either. I'm a paint & upholstery guy so I'm at a loss on what to do with motors. Please help.

Sounds like the brake isn't releasing, can you push it in neutral?

Comment

It's not the brake, I tore the clutch apart and tried to adjust it and topped it of with gear oil. Put some gas in carb through air filter opening and it would run for a bit then die. It has to be a feul issue. I realize now it was never running it was the starter turning over making me think it was running. I pulled the line off the carb and pushed the petal and the pump is working, lots of fresh gas coming out. I've sprayed some seafoam in the carb and tapped it to make sure the needle wasn't stuck and itstarted up and ran for a minute or two until I shut it off. Went back to start it 5 minutes later and same thing. Think my carb is gunked up and will need cleaned.

Comment

Yep, the carb will have to come off and cleaned. After gas sits in the carb for a few months it turns to goo and plugs up the jets. THe carb if fairly simple to clean.

Pretty much if any gas has sat in the carb for more than a few months the carb will have to be removed and cleaned. gas deteriorates rather quickly. Inside the carb the gas first turns to varnish and smells like varnish. Then the gas turns to glue, the into a thick glob of stuff plugging up the jets inside carb. The major sign is the motor will only run on choke and will cough and gag when off choke. Some times you may get away with adding fuel injection cleaner to the gas, but not if the gas has been sitting for more than about 4 months. Remove the carb, then remove the float bowl and main jet. There will likely be a brown goo in the bowl and jet. Get some fuel injection cleaner and soak the bowl and jets in the cleaner, you may need to use a fine wire to clean out the main jet. All the brown goo must be cleaned. Replace the fuel lines and filter, you will likely need to clean the fuel pump also. While you are at it install a fuel shut off valve. When storing the cart for the winter, shut off the valve and let the motor run til it dies. You will never have carb problems again. Stabilizers only slow the deterioration process. It is also a good idea to run some fuel injection cleaner every few tanks of gas. Most people are scared of carbs, but they are relative simple and easy to clean with basic tools. I make lotsa of money every year at my home cleaning carbs on boats, mowers, anything with a gas motor. Usually in an hour or less to remove and clean a carb. It takes very little crude in a carb ti cause problems. And the famous response is "It can't be the carb, it ran fine when I put it away last year". Yup its the carb.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X