Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 Marathon running poorly.... HELP Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 Marathon running poorly.... HELP Please!

Hello All...

I recently rebuilt the top end on my 91 marathon two stroke. It ran like a champ for a couple of weeks, but now is acting like it is not getting enough fuel. To start, choke is pulled all way out. Once rolling, I feather it back a little to keep it running. It starts to die, and only pushing choke all way in [choke off] keeps it going. But after a few seconds, starts to die again so choke has to be pulled out half way. Bottom line, I can drive it but requires continually moving the choke in and out - even then, sometimes it does and have to pull out all way and start over.

I am wondering if I have a bit of crud in the carb, or perhaps dirty fuel filter? Does this thing have a gas pump?

Also wanted to ask about running premix versus auto oiler. Given age of this cart, is it better to just run premix and skip the auto oil system. I have heard that the auto oiler often fails on these older Marathons...

Thanks in advance!

DT

In order.

The carburetor needs cleaning, a complete disassemble and cleaning of the jets. Then soak the carburetor in carburetor cleaner overnight and blow it out with compressed air the next morning. If there are small pinholes you need to clean, cut a wire off a wire brush and stick it into the holes to open them up. This will fix your problem.

The fuel filter is fine, change them every 3-5 years, pump rarely breaks.

I would run premix because these oil mixers break with out warning. The simple mix will save you hundreds of dollars in parts and countless dollars in labor.

Hope this helps
    Regards

Comment

Hi Matti...

Good advice... thank you. Time to pull the carb.

What ratio of mix would you recommend... and any preference on 2 cycle oil? Will the "generic" two cycle stuff work ok?

DT

Comment

I remember Ezgo calls for 1.5 ounces of oil per gallon of gas.
        Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X