Ezgo 1986 3 wheel gas problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezgo 1986 3 wheel gas problem

my motor was running fine then it lost power then lost more power then died. I charged the battery let it set overnight and it ran again for 25 minutes and did the same thing. Could my compression be gone causing it to do this now it wont start at all. fuel is pumping not alot but enough to fill bowl but plug looked dry. Is the fuel sucked into the motor through compression or pump pressure? it is getting spark, fuel and turning over any advise would be greately appreciated.

Hello all my name is jason I am a ky boy with my first cart to ride around the lake thanks in advance for all your help and glad to meet you all.

I paid 250.00 for it and it ran half way home and died I rode it before i bought it and did fine today but yesterday it died on the people i bought it from Is that to much to give for one great body and has top

Hi Jason, you can check for compression. I think around 125 PSI is fine. The fuel is pumped in to the engine from the carburetor through compression. You will probably have to give it a good carburetor cleaning and check the float.

But to test if you are getting gas or not, take a small amount of starter fluid and spray it down the carburetor. If the cart sputters and tries to start up then you have a fuel problem. Don't use a lot of starter fluid because it is not a mixed gas oil fuel.

Also that sounds like a great deal on the cart, congrats
    Regards

Comment

OK keep in mind i am from ky lmao. I did the only type of compression test i could do today with the tools i have. and it amounted to putting my finger over the plug hole as snug as possible and turned it over and it did not really even move my finger off the hole nor had much draw would it be safe to say it is in need of a top end rebuild or is that just a inadequate way to really tell thanks jason

Comment

Posted earlier by jtthompson View Post
        OK keep in mind i am from ky lmao. I did the only type of compression test i could do today with the tools i have. and it amounted to putting my finger over the plug hole as snug as possible and turned it over and it did not really even move my finger off the hole nor had much draw would it be safe to say it is in need of a top end rebuild or is that just a inadequate way to really tell thanks jason
        haha unfortunately yes the finger test is meaningless. I would either buy a compression tester, or trailer up the golf cart and take it to a helpful local golf cart dealer or lawn mower repair shop and see if they can test it as a favor

edit: Try what I said above with the starting fluid, or just put some 2 cycle mix in the spark plug hole and then put it back. If it runs then your compression is fine.
        Regards

Comment

didnt run at all or try to

Comment

Yea check the compression..... Though I cant see how charging the battery fixed it, maybe in your case the motor had time to cool down, and when the motor is cool it is able to produce more compression.
            Regards

Comment

that is kind of what i thought but it only restarted once the second time it was dead in the water no restart. Is it hard to rubuild top end or is it just like a 2 stroke motorcycle? would it be best to get jug kit or just rering it with a ball honing?? thanks

Comment

that is kind of what i thought but it only restarted once the second time it was dead in the water no restart. Is it hard to rubuild top end or is it just like a 2 stroke motorcycle? would it be best to get jug kit or just rering it with a ball honing?? thanks
                It's nothing special. If the cylinder walls and piston is okay I would just rering it, replace all the gaskets and crank seals.
                Regards

Comment

you dont think a hone would be needed???

Comment

you dont think a hone would be needed???
                    Yes sorry. After 20 years of build up, I'm sure it will need to be honed and while your at it polish the ports.
                    Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X