Brake Drum Stuck On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Drum Stuck On

On my 1988 Marathon gas, I'm changing the right brake drum b/c the left drum stripped out (replacing both, already did left side). I backed off the brake shoes pretty good but it won't budge. Hammered it, penetrating oil on splines, just won't move.

Second issue is the axle has about 1/8" play in and out. Any advice is welcome. Thanks for reading

Sounds like you've already tried some common methods to remove the stubborn brake drum. When it refuses to budge, it's often due to the drum getting worn onto the brake shoes tongue and groove style, making removal a real challenge. While it's possible to eventually coax the drum off with a lot of elbow grease and persistence, I find that it's simply easier to resort to cutting the drum off. As for the axle play, a bit of play (up to 1/8") can be normal, but if it's excessive or causing concerns, it's worth inspecting the axle and bearings for any signs of wear or damage. Let me know if you need further assistance or if there's anything else I can help you with!

-G

Comment

I should have mentioned the drum is stuck on the axle (they move together). Thanks

Comment

Posted earlier by John99 View Post
        I should have mentioned the drum is stuck on the axle (they move together). Thanks
        Ah thanks for clearing that up, consider renting at autozone or buying at harbor freight a 3-prong pulley puller capable of reaching around the outside of the drum. Once you've got it in place, tighten the center bolt firmly. Then, give the bolt a solid tap with a 3-5 pound sledgehammer, and the drum should pop off the axle shaft effortlessly. I've personally found this method to be reliable and in my opinion much safer.

The axle shaft is typically held in place inside with a C-clip, so there's no need to worry about that going anywhere. If you decide to just beat the axle shaft out of the hub, Ive found slightly threading on the nut protects the outer threads of the axle shaft from damage and mushrooming. Keep in mind that while this method is effective, there's a chance you may bend the nut beyond repair so it's good to have an extra nut on hand, just in case

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X