Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late '80's EZGO marathon timing question

Hello,
    I am currently working on what I have been told is an '87 EZGO marathon golf cart. It has a two stroke engine. When I first got it, it would only turn over. There is a new carb on it. The first real problem I noticed was there was the incorrect sparkplug in it. After changing the plug, cleaning the carb, and making sure it was getting fuel, it runs. My problem is I want to make sure the timing is set properly. I thought it had points, but when I took off the flywheel, I noticed that it had a non-points ignition. I couldn't see any timing marks on the engine to line up the mark that is on the "plate". How can I be sure I have the correct timing on this cart?

Thanks in advance,
    Joey

That style ignition has no way to change or adjust the timing. The coil is mounted to the engine block and magnets in the flywheel trigger the spark. Just clean off any rust on the flywheel and coil so they don't hit. You can use a pencil to check for TDC with the plug out, most 2 strokes run at about 20 to 30 degrees BTDC.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I am most likely dealing with an exhaust leak then with the odd back fire that comes out of it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X