Carburator cleaning 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburator cleaning 101

Cleaning a carburetor is not a big deal , it can be done in and hour or 2 even for a first timer. Go get some Seafoam carb cleaner. Remove the carb, might want to take some pictures as to where the hoses and linkages go before removal. Clean the outside of the carb. There maybe a spring loaded screw or 2, one should go to the idle stop linkage, no need to remove that one. Another should go into the carb body, this is your idle mixture set screw. Gently turn in the screw til it bottoms out counting the turns, remove the screw. When replacing the screw again gently bottom out the screw and back out the turns you counted before. Remove the float bowl, clean the inside thoroughly.Probably will have brown goo or varnish caked up. Remove the float, and needle. place in can or something with the Seafoam to soak for awhile. There will be 2 brass jets with small holes in them remove the jets and clean out the small holes (good idea to have a number drill set) the idle jet will have a very tiny hole, the main jet will be a little bit bigger hole. Soak the entire carb and jets in the Seafoam, if really nasty soak over night. Reassemble.
    Make sure the intake gasket is good and seals well. Now replace the fuel filter, buy and install a inline fuel shut off valve. When putting the cart up for more than a month, shut off the gas and run the motor til it dies. You will never have carb problems again. Upon starting after running dry dribble some fuel in the air filter to help prime the carb and get the fuel pump going.

When starting up after sitting with empty float bowl it is possible the float will stick at first, simply tap on the flat bowl to loosen the float
    Updated by Larry1950; October 5, 2013, 07:26 AM.

I have a 1989 Ezgo that runs so good that I am afraid to clean the carb, afraid it will never run this good again. The outside of the carb is the dirtiest I have ever seen. You can not see the carb through the built-up layers of caked on dried grease. I know I'm going to have to clean it some day but I am scared to death. Is there a 12 step program I can attend?

Comment

Engine degreaser and a hose

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X