old 3 wheeler starts ; won't accellerate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old 3 wheeler starts ; won't accellerate

don't know model;old 2 stroke with points. new points, plug, wire,carb& fuel pump. compression 120# cold. reed valve looks fine. was running fine one day and won't go the next. old cart is in great shape, would love to get it running again. please help

Kinda need a better description as what it is doing.
    You mention new points, but not condenser. Clean the points with a dollar bill. Make sure the points are set at .016 to .020 at TDC if no F or T marks on the flywheel. Points should just open at the F mark. New condenser is very important. It is also possible the main seals are bad if that old of a motor. But by your description it sounds like the timing has gone retarded. Its it a new or rebuilt carb and good and clean inside?

Comment

condenser and carb are new; went from great to terrible just sitting overnite. setting points & timing is almost impossible in the frame; have to stand on my head to see them; think i will pull engine so i can see better

Comment

can hold throttle wide open, pull choke etc and rpm will not increase but does seem to do a little better when engine is cold. (compression?) 120# cold

Comment

Ok, I is the air filter attached? Quite often the carb needs the restriction of the air filter housing to run properly. It is also possible something is plugging the exhaust, loosen the exhaust and see if it runs better. If that don't work take off the carb and see if something is blocking the main jet. What oil mix are your using? But I am still thinking the points may have changed. 2 strokes are very simple but can be very picky also. If it runs better cold than hot it could be the needle and seat are sticking open (float) dumping too much fuel. It the plug black or wet?
          Updated by Larry1950; May 10, 2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

air filter is attached,disconnected muffler, cleaned carb again, no change; cranks instantly and idles good, plug is alittle black but not bad; points are set at.013; mix is 50 to 1 like i have always run

Comment

Points are a bit tight, should be closer to .020. Do you have a nice bright blue spark at the plug, could be a fouled or bad plug. Is the spark arching nicely or jumping around on the plug. Sure sounds like either fouled plug or defective condenser. It is possible the float level if off. I have seen where a 2 stroke will idle just fine but the coil fails at higher rpm. You sure the main jet is clear? It takes very little obstruction to cause problems. It could be a bad intake gasket. At idle spray some WD40 around the intake if the rpms change there is a air leak.Try a new plug, NGK or ND. Champions are not a good 2 stroke plug. Black is rich and sometimes doesn't take much to foul. Without being there is difficult to know what it is doing.
              Updated by Larry1950; May 12, 2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X