Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keep gas ezgo running with foot off the gas pedal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep gas ezgo running with foot off the gas pedal???

is there a way to keep the gas ezgo running once it is started without keeping your foot on the gas pedal. you know start it up like an regular gas engine and stopping it by turning the key off?

A couple of things happens when you depress the "gas" peddle. There is a micro switch in series with the ignition switch, this turns on the starter/generator and the ignition to the motor. So yes you can keep the motor running by bypassing the micro switch,however the starter/generator would also continue to run. I am not sure at what rpm the starter/ generator starts charging so there could be an excess strain on the battery at idle. You would also have to adjust the idle stop on the carburetor. Since most carts have snowmobile type clutching the stall speed of the clutches would need to be changed as a cart clutch engages at a very low stall speed (RPM) allowing the motor to idle without engaging the clutches. Cart motors have a very short rpm range about 4500 rpm max. A clutch would have to be set at about 2000 to 2500 rpm to allow the motor to idle thus taking away some of the drive ability. Not to mention the safety issue of an idling cart and the brake not holding. Snowmobile clutches usually operate from about 3500 to 7-8000 rpm. Yes it can be done, but is it worth it?

Comment

thanks for your reply but is the starter designed to run the whole time while you are going down the road anyway. I guess what i'm saying it isn't like an automobile started that disengages once the motor is started the golf cart continues to run?

Comment

I understand that, the starter becomes a charging system at a certain rpm. At idle for an extended period of time it could put extra stain on the battery

Comment

well I guess I could try it and see what happens could you give me a little more detail wit pictures and a wiring diagram and I will let you know how it comes out . we may start something new. LOL

Comment

Its pretty easy. Just bypass the switch on go pedal however that is not the biggest problem. Your clutches engage at a very low rpm, unless the belt it badly worn, so the clutches (drive and driven) would at the least need to have the springs changed to allow the engine to idle without engaging. Or redo the motor mounts to loosen the belt.

Comment

I have wanted to do the same thing.....Its a little frustrating trying to go slow. I think the clutch is not a problem on mine. I think it will NOT engauge at a low idle. But like mentioned above, I dont know what rpm the alternator starts putting out. I have looked at the 2 little boxes beside the solenoid, but not sure what they are. I think one is the regulator. I just got my cart and this is the first thing I want to do to it. I would love it if someone could tell me exactly how to by pass this feature.

Comment

If you want to try it got for it. But I take no responsibility if the cart takes off when the key is turned on. Since not all carts are wired the same I need to know the year and model to find a schematic to know exactly what to look for, but I will try to describe what to do.
                Find your ignition switch under the seat, the one the key goes in, should be 2 wires going to it. Follow the wires, one should go to the battery or fuse panel. The other should go to another switch (micro switch) located on the go pedal or linkage. On the micro switch should be 2 wires, remove the wires from the switch and hook them together. Now when the ignition switch is turned on the starter will turn over the motor. You may need to adjust a idle set screw on the carburetor butterfly to get the motor to idle. Its difficult to tell if the motor is idling or the starter is turning it.
                Now there are other issues such as braking/stopping will be more difficult as the motor keeps running. You only have rear brakes. The cart may take off when started if not in neutral when the key is turned on, so be careful. You are on your own.
                Updated by Larry1950; April 14, 2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Mine is a 2000 ezgo. When I looked at the wiring, there are 2 wires coming from under the cart out of the "gas pedal box". 1 goes to the starter (green) the other to the solenoid (red). I cant see inside the pedal box, but I think the switch is beside the solenoid. Which is right beside the battery. If I can find the right 2 wires, Im going to put them on a toggle switch for testing out. Then go from there... Thanks for your help....
                  Or should I say, a switch would be inside the gas pedal box, but what it controls is a little box at the solenoid. I can here it clicking when I push gas pedal..
                  Updated by captainjko; April 14, 2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

It should be the 2 wires coming from the gas pedal box. The easy way is to make up long enough wire with a toggle switch in it and attach it to the same points as the peddle wires, leaving the existing wires in place. When the toggle is off the cart would operate as normal, switch on and the cart should continue to run. This is a much better safety feature than hard wiring. If it doesn't work out very easy to remove and no cobbled wiring. Be sure to use the same gauge wiring, might even consider putting an inline fuse in it just to add a bit more safe. If you like the setup mount the switch where you like and you have the best of both.
                    Updated by Larry1950; April 15, 2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking....Where would one find out the info on what rpm the starter/generator starts generating?

Comment

I have no idea where you could that info.
                        But you could put a volt meter on the battery and slowly bring up the rpm's of the motor, when the meter shows 13.5v or better its charging. My guess around 2000-2500 rpm. Then decrease the rpm, when the voltage drops below 12.5v the starter is pulling. You might find a fine balance between idle and charge or not charge. Most likely the clutch will engage about 2000 rpm. Most small motors idle about 1200 to 1500 rpm. You also can tell when charging if you have lights, they will brighten when charging and dim a bit when not charging. Good luck!

Comment

I was able to test the bypass. It worked. Didnt have a chance to check the voltage. Should be abl to tomorrow and post results. Im sure many people would like to do this.

Comment

Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Posted earlier by captainjko View Post
                              I was able to test the bypass. It worked. Didnt have a chance to check the voltage. Should be abl to tomorrow and post results. Im sure many people would like to do this.
                              I have been setting back and reading you guys seem to know what yall are doing so looking forward to tomorrow to see what you figure out on your final post please explain all you did and I will try it out on my golf cart. thanks again felloes

Comment

I have a ezgo 2010 st2+2 where would the gas pedal box be located all I see connected to my gas pedal is a cable

Comment

They are all different, somewhere either at the pedal or along or at the end of the cable should be a microswitch. With the ignition switch off take off the seat, push on the pedal and listen for a click, find the click and you will find the switch. It might be that the switching on that new a model could be solid state, if so don't mess with it.

Comment

As mentioned above, engine will have to idle too high before it puts outs over 12 volts. After I intalled the switch to keep it idling, the cart wont switch from forwrd to reverse. Even at a very low idle. It has to be not running with no tention on trans. I guess I will be like all the others out there and just deal with it.
                                    To huntfishing007: All I did was supply a power wire from the switch to the starter wire. So instead of the gas pedal safety switch sending the power to the starter, the key switch is sending power to starter. The only way I see this being able to work properly is to install a manual transmission with clutch... I wont be doing that.....

Comment

The reason is the stall speed on the clutch is very low, a couple of things would probably work is changing or modifying the clutch to operate at a higher stall speed, or a slightly longer drive belt to relieve the tension on the transaxle. But your drive ability would suffer because of the short rpm range. Or just turn off the bypass switch you need to change directions.
                                      Updated by Larry1950; April 17, 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I am using the switch every now and then. I really like it when I am driving in the woods and trying to go slow. It seems easier. I dont want to use a longer belt, for the very reason you said. I may check out a different clutch at some point, but for now, it really isnt that big of a deal.

Comment

Glad it worked out for ya! Personally I wouldn't mess with a different clutch either.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                          X