99 ezgo EH29C compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 ezgo EH29C compression

New to me is a 99 EZGO with an EH29C engine. Starts very easily and runs with lots of power.

A couple weeks ago we started checking it over and if we remove the oil filler with it running, there is all kinds for blow-by coming out with some oil splashing out. Didn't seem right.
    Compression checked at 60 lbs almost exactly on both cylinders. Is this low???? Is ring or valve problems a possible source of the blow-by?

Now the kicker. Today we went back down to the lake and went for a spin in the EZGO. The temp was in the mid 60's and it seemed to start just a little bit harder then normal with no choke. Once warmed up after a minute, ran like normal. When we got back a small puddle of oil formed on the ground. Further investigation showed what looks like oil is blowing out from under the rocker cover. Like I have now blown a rocker cover gasket.
    From the information above, how bad is it? Is there anything that can be looked at easily or are we looking at an overhaul?

Appreciate any comments.
    Gary

There is a little more to it than just compression some of these motors have a compression release and they have a low compression at startup. Once they are turning past a certain rpm the compression builds. I would say never run the motor without the filter. Type of oil pump used needs back pressure to build up pressure.
    Updated by gaminde; April 22, 2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Also you have a breather hose going from crankcase to air cleaner that is most likely plugged

Comment

You have filled up the engine with too much oil. Drain the engine oil, and fill with only 1.5 quarts of 10w-30 engine oil. If you have a lift kit installed, mark this level on the dipstick, this is your new "full" level.
        Regards

Comment

gaminde,
          Thanks for the quick reply. I saw it before we left the lake to come home. The air filter looks new and the breather tube coming into the back side was clear.

After wiping everything down, I decided to pop the rocker cover and take a look at the gasket. That is where it looked like the oil was coming from. The gasket was about as flat as it could get. Don't know how it was sealing anything. I will see if I can get a new one locally here in Oklahoma City before I go back to the lake.

Matti,
          Very possible. When we bought it a little over a month ago, the oil looked like it was brand new along with the air filter. The level was showing full on the dip stick. When we get back to the lake, I will drain it and fill with new, along with installing a new rocker cover gasket. The rockers all looked very clean and well oiled.

Thanks so much for the help.
          Gary

Comment

Not sure but I think near Oklahoma City there is a Online small engine and parts dealer they sell almost every engine made and parts for them wish I could remember the name.

How about Tulsa
            http://tewarehouse.com/
            Updated by gaminde; April 22, 2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

What years was the eh29C engine used?

Comment

Check valve lash should be .004" at TDC, also check cam timing http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...-diagrams.html

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X