Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging problem

I have a 1996 EZ GO gas TXT. When I check the battery with a volt meter it registers 12.6 volts. I go and drive my cart for around 20-30 minutes and re check the volts on the battery and it goes down to around 11.6-11.8. If I keep driving it it will eventually not start anymore until I charge the battery back up. The battery is brand new. What could be causing the battery not to charge while driving?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

i do mostly electric but it sounds like your starter/generator. I'm sure some one with more knowledge will be on and help you sort it out
    IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Chris. I would start first by making sure your terminals and wire connections are CLEAN and TIGHT. Check the solenoid posts! Check your grounds too!!! If it all checks out, move on to the Voltage Regulator. If that checks out, its time for a new starter/generator.
      Regards

Comment

If you need a starter/generator. I have the one I took out of my cart when I put a vtwin in it late last year. I had no problems with it when it was removed. If you need it let me know cause its just sitting on a shelf.

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
          Hi Chris. I would start first by making sure your terminals and wire connections are CLEAN and TIGHT. Check the solenoid posts! Check your grounds too!!! If it all checks out, move on to the Voltage Regulator. If that checks out, its time for a new starter/generator.
          Thanks Matti. All connections are clean and tight. I however do not know how to check the voltage regulator. Any manuals you can direct me to for that.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

find the wires going to the generator check voltage there could be anywhere for 13 to 20 volts and recheck the wires going to the battery they should read around 14 volts.

if you have 14 + at generator and nothing to batteries then regulator if no 14 at generator then generator is bad.

ya know this might not work if the field wire is controlled by the regulator.

I think we used to quickly touch the field wire to +12 battery and this makes the generator put out full voltage with your meter connected this is a quick test as fast as you can on then off.
            Updated by gaminde; January 20, 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X