ezgo carb runs at choke almost closed only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ezgo carb runs at choke almost closed only

I appreciate the help so far on this workhorse 350cc Robin 1996 engine. New problem. See if you can figure this one out. Sorry i started a new and too long of a thread. Changed coil, new ignitor, set timing belt --it was off 2 notches, adjusted valves (don't think they were out of adjustment but followed instructions anyway), new carburetor (2nd one of 2--first one was junk aftermarket--this one is the real deal). Finally the engine will start and run, But it only runs with the choke almost closed (about 1/4 open) and the foot pedal at 1 to 2 inches depressed. If I open choke more or depress foot pedal more than 2 inches down (or more than about 1/4 of the total travel) the engine dies. There is still some back firing through the carb and occasionaly through the exhaust. In other words it runs at low speed but not medium or high. Have already took carburetor apart and soaked it for about an hour blew it out with carb cleaner and air. Any suggestions or what am I missing? Hopefully I have covered everything. Disclosure--I did try to adjust the governor according to a thread in here before all this started but I don't think I was able to make any difference although it did seem more peppy for the 10 minutes it ran after that and before all the trouble. My gut is still dirty carb or something got in there. Air mixture is set at 1.5 turns out

First thought I had is... what kind of fuel are you running that gummed up a brand new carburetor so quickly? I would start by draining the fuel, cleaning the tank, then check all the fuel lines for pin holes. Run a compression check. Check that all intake gaskets are in place especially between the carburetor and engine. Check the fuel air mixture screw is set at 1.5 turns open on the carburetor.

Make sure you adjusted your valves properly, I usually snug the screw then let off a quarter turn on each.
    Regards

Comment

did all that and adjusted valves first with .004 and then with tighten and 1/4 turn back off. new gas. no hose leaks replaced all including ones to fuel pump and blew them out with air and checked for air tightness by closing off one end and blowing through --no leaks. Soaked carb 2nd time, blew out with air. reassembled, cranked. Then several backfires through carb later it ran smooth for about 4 seconds died. then just for experiment i switched plug wires and it ran good for about a minute then died. Fuel pump is working fine. Does the plug wires matter which is which #1 or #2 cylinder? Then i waited a few minutes and tried again then it backfires through carb and it ran for about a minute in ahalf at half throttle to almost full throttle then died. Running very smoothly though no missing or backfiring. Have not checked compression yet. then back to same old thing back firing and almost tries to start then finally after about a minute of cranking it will go for a minute or so then die.

Comment

I do not know ezgos but that sounds like my yamaha when the fuel pump was not pumping enough fuel. I cleaned the pump and it ran much better. I'm not sure if you can clean a ezgo pump.
        Mike

Comment

Posted earlier by mljstar View Post
          I do not know ezgos but that sounds like my yamaha when the fuel pump was not pumping enough fuel. I cleaned the pump and it ran much better. I'm not sure if you can clean a ezgo pump.
          Mike
          They have a diaphragm that is replaceable. When the cart dies, try spraying starting fluid down the carburetor. If it runs normally for a few seconds than you know you have a fuel issue.
          Regards

Comment

Be VERY careful with starting fluid/spray. You can cause an explosion if you're not careful.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X