starter squealing on start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter squealing on start up?

Completely rebuilt my 86 2 cycle. New belts and clutch also. Sometimes when starting I can push the pedal and nothing happens for a second or two, then the starter squeals then it starts. Runs fine after that, and doesn't do it all the time. Watching the belt it doesn't appear as though it is slipping. Also the connections on the starter are very hot, not the starter just the connection points on the top and side and rear. Any ideas??

Tighten the starter more, it is slipping. The hot connections are because the starter is not making good contact, take off the connections and clean them up. Clean the battery posts and solenoid mounts while you're at it.
    Regards

Comment

I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Let me know
        Regards

Comment

loose belt. Tighten starter and might have to replace belt if its worn

Comment

Well as electrical things go....here is another rub. I cleaned the connections and tightened the belt. The squeal went away for a while, then came back, however the starter loosened up, so that can be fixed. I just need to figure out how to keep it in place, other than the bolt in the slide that is supposed to keep it in place. It has no adjustment to tighten the belt then lock it down. The only way is the old fashioned way of putting a pry bar under and then tightening the lock nut. I guess I may have to fab something to do the job.

Now on to my electrical problem. When I hit the gas and open the contact the engine may or may not turn over. I was watching the back of the starter and noticed after a few seconds of having the pedal depressed one of the contacts was glowing orange. That contact has a piece of plastic under it, I guess as an insulator of sorts ( home made by the looks of it.) If your looking at the starter from the rear it is located on the 9 "0" clock position, top being 12. It comes from the forward/reverse switching unit on the 3 '0' clock side as your looking at it from the rear of the cart. Since that thing is glowing, and the cart is not starting I must have something grounding out somewhere. I just need to figure out where and what it is. Any ideas?

Comment

Well as electrical things go....here is another rub. I cleaned the connections and tightened the belt. The squeal went away for a while, then came back, however the starter loosened up, so that can be fixed. I just need to figure out how to keep it in place, other than the bolt in the slide that is supposed to keep it in place. It has no adjustment to tighten the belt then lock it down. The only way is the old fashioned way of putting a pry bar under and then tightening the lock nut. I guess I may have to fab something to do the job.
              It should have a stopper nut. That would be a nut tightened right next to another nut.

Now on to my electrical problem. When I hit the gas and open the contact the engine may or may not turn over. I was watching the back of the starter and noticed after a few seconds of having the pedal depressed one of the contacts was glowing orange. That contact has a piece of plastic under it, I guess as an insulator of sorts ( home made by the looks of it.) If your looking at the starter from the rear it is located on the 9 "0" clock position, top being 12. It comes from the forward/reverse switching unit on the 3 '0' clock side as your looking at it from the rear of the cart. Since that thing is glowing, and the cart is not starting I must have something grounding out somewhere. I just need to figure out where and what it is. Any ideas?
              You must follow the wire and look for a bare spot or worn out insulator, and clean the connections where it is glowing. No quick fix on that one, but get it done before larger problems come.
              Regards

Comment

Matti, do you think the insulator (which is only a piece of plastic) that is under the stud is causing the problem. It was homemade by the prior owner. Nothing from that wire is metal on metal contact to the starter, but my thought is that insulator piece is just not enough. Maybe I'll try a photo later today and post it. thanks rk

Comment

Posted earlier by rkgsmith View Post
                  Matti, do you think the insulator (which is only a piece of plastic) that is under the stud is causing the problem. It was homemade by the prior owner. Nothing from that wire is metal on metal contact to the starter, but my thought is that insulator piece is just not enough. Maybe I'll try a photo later today and post it. thanks rk
                  Hmm you may want to ask DougMCP on that, i am not sure what will happen with that much power going thru it.
                  Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X