Rough starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough starting

I have an 88 2-stroke ezgo cart. It is very hard to start. It must be choked for a couple of seconds and then push the choke back in or it will still not go. Even when the engine is warm from riding, I have to choke it everytime that I stop even for a few minutes. When it does go, it does not have much power at all. We checked the compression on the motor and it has 100 psi. Is this ok, or should we have the motor rebuilt? Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Hello joyfulrn, welcome to the forum.

It should have 150PSI. Sounds like it's time. Replace the usual, and most importantly replace the crank seals when rebuilding it.
    Regards

Comment

This guy has parts for sale that may work for you: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/sale-g...ine-parts.html

Comment

I have done top end rebuilds before on atvs. So i dont think that will be a problem. But Im not really sure on how the crank seal is replaced. Is it a press in seal from the outside (behind the flywheel)? or do you have to open the case and replace it from the inside? Any info on this would be a big help.

Comment

I'm not a gas guy but here's what I got from a buddy who's done it:
          The seals are pressed in from the outside.
          On the clutch side, you will need to take the drive clutch off, I would use a proper puller. I would avoid the 2x4 and pry bar method if you can, some people have broken the casting.
          You will need to take the flywheel off the fan side with a puller, and the seal will be right there.
          You can get the seals off with a flat blade, and you can get them back on with a small hammer around the outside of the new seal.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
            On the clutch side, you will need to take the drive clutch off, I would use a proper puller. I would avoid the 2x4 and pry bar method if you can, some people have broken the casting.
            You will need to take the flywheel off the fan side with a puller, and the seal will be right there.
            You can get the seals off with a flat blade, and you can get them back on with a small hammer around the outside of the new seal.
            Thanks, that helps alot. That is kinda what i thinking

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
              I agree, just be careful that you do not crack the case when pulling. You can go with some heat around it to help loosen it up.
              Regards

Comment

Is there anything that I can do while rebuilding it to give more power?

Comment

Posted earlier by joyfulrn View Post
                  Is there anything that I can do while rebuilding it to give more power?
                  Hmmmmm custom porting and boring, unfortunately the listed require a good touch of experience. You could get a clutch spring kit geared for either more torque or more topend. You can modify the governor to allow for a couple more MPH;s top speed. You could bypass the governor and hook up a custom RPM gauge on the dash and monitor the motor by your self. Custom exhaust will give you more power. Maybe someone else knows of parts or kits you can purchase to get more power.
                  Regards

Comment

From what I have also learned if you want more power:
                    The piston/ring assbly needs to have good compression, check the cylinder diameter.
                    To get max power out the motor, boring and a new oversize piston is probably a good thing.
                    Boring and going to a larger piston doesn't produce any noticeable power but shaving the head by .030" will perform well and be quite noticeable.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X