Club Car Hard Jerking & Acceleration Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Car Hard Jerking & Acceleration Issues

I recently bought a Club Car, unsure what year it is seems to not have any VIN number on it anywhere. It has a lift put on, and aftermarket tires and seats. I noticed today when riding around it was accelerating ok at first, then I noticed some things.
    1. Battery went from full on the battery gauge down to half within constant accelerating of 10 to 15 minutes. Doesn't seem right to me but I'm no expert on this
    2. When I went in reverse, I pushed down on the accelerating pedal and I hear a click from something engaging, and it does not move. It will only move if I push it all the way in, and it causes it to jerk very hard in top speed gear, it will not slowly coast back with light pressure on the acceleration pedal. It now does the same with it being in the forward position, it will not coast forward slowly, if i give it little to half pressure on the pedal it clicks and slightly moves, but then just sits still. I have to give full pedal and it will jerk forward hard and then go at full speed.
    3. When rolling at constant high speed, it seemed as if the cart was trying to slowly lose speed and then would pick back up on pace, same feeling a car does as if it's running out of gas. Didn't sputter like that obviously being it's an electric cart, but i did feel it start to lose power when accelerating.
    4. Does not like going up hills. Loses lots of speed and momentum going uphill.

I will attatch pictures of this cart in hopes to get an idea of what year it could be and then the other pictures will be of batteries and solenoids. One solenoid looks to be newer and the others seem to be old. Batteries are new from a year n half ago from what i was told from previous owner. Thanks to anyone in advanced for any tips or help. I hope I didn't buy this cart and have a grocery list of repairs to make for it.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 6 photos.

Mid 80s I would say, hard to see in the photos due to the cropping but you can figure out the year by comparing wiring diagrams, serial number is typically up under the glove box area. You'll need to double check all the connections are clean and tight to start with no broken wires especially on the batteries and on the microswitch/solenoid/resistor area (in your second to last pic). Did you purchase it this way? Did the previous owner offer you any insight? Maybe they recently changed the batteries and forgot how to hook them up according to spec?

Club Car DS 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 (36v) Wiring Diagram

Club Car DS 85, 86, 87, 88 (36v) Wiring Diagram

Club Car DS 81, 82, 83, 84 (36v) Wiring Diagram

Comment

Its going to funnel current through the resistor/solenoid setup at anything besides full throttle, definitely check out the wiring around the resistor setup and components. Running a load test on each individual battery also wouldn't hurt. Kudos on your new project, you can refurbish the current resistor setup to get it going at all speeds or opt for the solid state conversion upgrade for better battery efficiency and longevity.
      Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X