Lacking power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacking power

Got my two 04' DS carts working, and they seem to run fine in the backyard. But on the street they don't seem to have much power even at full charge, I especially notice it going uphill. I think they have many hours on them from their previous life on a Florida golf course. Is there anything I might be able to do to improve the power? For example, check the motor brushes? Very new to golf carts.

Both have new Interstate batteries, one has new 6 ga battery cables. I checked the volts last night, one had 49, the other 50.
    Updated by tracker; October 23, 2013, 06:02 AM.

yes there are a few things you can do, you are saying power but are you talking speed or torque? 1st Put you volt meter on the battery pack and drive up a slight hill or check voltage while accelerating, this will put a load on the batteries. also do the same for each battery one at a time post all voltages 2nd With key on in forward get off the cart and push the cart forward is there any braking or resistance when pushing.

Comment

Yes, am talking speed, really seems to slow on even slight grades. Think they've been sitting unused for some time. Just loaded an avator of how one looked when I bought it! Will try those checks tonight and post results.

Comment

Did the push test on one cart. Found no noticeable drag other than the weight of the cart. Here's some voltage readings:

Cart 1 before test-under load
        50.3- 47.9
        bat 1 8.31- 8.02
        2 8.30- 8.01
        3 8.30- 8.02
        4 8.28- 8.02
        5 8.34- 8.05
        6 8.32- 8.02

Cart 2 49.8- 47.2 (ran out of time to test each battery)

Wish I had a speedo to measure the speeds. Do these results help?
        Updated by tracker; October 23, 2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Helps a lot batteries look good no major drop under load, now disconnect the speed sensor on the end of the motor and drive them if its the same speed replace/rebuild the speed sensors.

Comment

I could be way off here! what are the serial numbers, if they start with AQ then proceed if AA then I'm out here.

Comment

Both are AA0426. I take it I don't have speed sensor? Does this mean the motors are just worn out from use?

Comment

Don't think so but its a series cart and I try to stay away from those things Sorry.
                there only good for 12 mph stock.

Comment

What do you mean by series cart? Would these carts not be good candidates for upgrading, i.e. lift kits, tires, etc?

Comment

Sorry did not mean to say they're bad carts, I have just focused on IQ carts. Its a personal preference.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X