Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

Had to replace batteries on church's Club Car this weekend. Four of six batteries had bad cells so we replaced all six. Replaced 6-8 volts with 6-6 volts.

Two issues:

1.The cart now runs fine just not as much power. Will the 6-6 volt batteries be sufficient for primarily just several hours use on Sundays and maybe an hour use during the middle of the week?

2. I ran the batteries down a good bit today and placed on the charger. It charged for about 5 seconds and then the charger circuit tripped. I can't get the charger to function at all now. Will our charger that we used with the 8 volts batteries work with the new 6 volt batteries?

Sorry to ask, but I know nothing about carts or batteries. I did replace the front spring bushings today though .

Any help is appreciated.

The 6v volt batteries will run the cart for awhile, but the system was designed for 48v and will be very sluggish and a much shorter run time. Next your charger needs to see the 48v and will not function using 36v. Your charger shut down because is doesn't see 48v which good or it would have way overcharged the batteries. You have 2 choices either get a 36v charger or use the proper batteries.

Comment

Posted earlier by Larry1950 View Post
      The 6v volt batteries will run the cart for awhile, but the system was designed for 48v and will be very sluggish and a much shorter run time. Next your charger needs to see the 48v and will not function using 36v. Your charger shut down because is doesn't see 48v which good or it would have way overcharged the batteries. You have 2 choices either get a 36v charger or use the proper batteries.
      Larry,

Thank you for the reply and good information.

Could I add two more 6 volt batteries to bring the system up to 48 volts? Or possibly one 12 volt?

DBP

Comment

Yes you can add 2 6v batteries, 1 12v battery will not have the current (amperage) capacity of the 6v batteries. Several systems use 8 6v batteries

Comment

tHANK YOU lARRY FOR THE EDUCATION

Thank you for the education Larry. As it turns out, the guy that installed the 6 volts is going to replace with 8 volt batteries. However, this is all good info for future reference.

Thanks

Comment

The best way to do it, sure beats cobble job.

Comment

Had the 6 volts replaced with 8 volts and all is well now. Replaced the front leaf spring bushings as well.

While up on blocks I put the cart in gear and noticed that only the right rear wheel was driving. Is this normal or should both rear wheels be giving drive?

Thanks

Comment

That's normal

Comment

Posted earlier by Larry1950 View Post
                  The best way to do it, sure beats cobble job.
                  Well, I had all six batteries replaced with 8 volt ones and have used the cart for the past three Sundays at church and it has been running strong.

Cart began to get sluggish today so I put it on charge. After about two minutes the charger shut off.

Do I now have a problem with the charger?

Comment

After 10 to 20 seconds the charger will run self diagnostics. Charger manual is here http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...accupower.html read pages 118-119.

Comment

Thanks Wthompson -- The cart runs fine so I guess that means the batteries are wired and connected properly. I will probably take it to the shop as I am really not literate at all with this type thing. I appreciate the manual though.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X