Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Club Car - need help troubleshooting

I have a 92 Club Car, new batteries.

Something has slowly been going out, and is now mostly out!

Basically, it will not move usually. When it does, you have to slowly push the accelerator pedal.

I have cleaned all of the connectors. Confirmed the solenoid is good by jumping the two big posts and pushing the accelerator.

Cleaned and verified (the best I could) both the F/R and wiper switches.

Still no luck. Really strange, while working on this last night, I was able to get it to go in drive/forward 3 times in a row, then not again.

Here's a little more detail on what's happening:
    1 Key on.
    2 Moved to F (and R, buzzer works on R)
    3 Slowly pushed accelerator pedal.
    4 With cover off the wiper switch, I can see the micro-switch in there click when the wiper arm reaches the second copper square. The wiper arm starts at the farthest right spot and moves to the farthest left spot when the accelerator is fully pushed (seems to be adjusted right)?
    5 The solenoid clicks right about the time the microswitch in the wiper arm does.
    6 NOTHING HAPPENS! OR if you very slowly push the pedal (over and over) it may just start to go, and will run until you stop. Then same problem again.

I don't know what to do next? I really appreciate any advice you can give? Any idea what the problem is? How to troubleshoot further?

Thank you!

Here are some pics!

Thanks again for all of your help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79806152@N03/7314464878/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79806152@N03/7314458810/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79806152@N03/7314461246/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79806152@N03/7314589490/

Comment

This is what I think you have, now look at points 6, and 7, where it connects to the controller put an ohm meter on the connections and measure the resistance with the unit off.
      Attached Files

Comment

The next step after that will be checking the forward and reverse switch

Comment

here is a better schematic I think??
          Attached Files

Comment

This weekend...

Took the F/W off, disassembeled cleaned and reinstalled (copper bars were really greasy, etc.). No luck fixing the problem.

Took off the wiper switch, dissassebled, cleaned and reinstalled. Found a loose wire and replaced, was hoping that was the issue but no luck.

Use the cart over the weekend. Strange, but seems a little better (probably just my wishful thinking). Also found that, it seems like when you can't get it going that if you get it rolling and hit the accellerator that it takes off. Not 100% sure about that, twice that it didn't move, tried that and it worked.

In any case, I am not fairly confident that the F/W and wiper switch are not the problems.

Since when it does move, it seems to run fine (maybe a little weak on power when going up a big hill, but it is an old 36v cart). So, I think the motor is fine.

The soleniod also seems fine, tested it by jumping the two big posts.

I am now starting to think it's the controller? The box up under the back, passenger side. It has all of the cables running to/from it. If it's not a controller, it's some type of power unit (most of the wires run to/from it).

So a question for everyone, could the controller be the problem? (if it's not a controller, what is that on this year cart)? If I took it off, can it be dissasebled and cleaned like the F/W switch and wiper switch? Of it is more electronic on the inside rather than mechanical?

P.S.

I am going to pick up an ohm meter today and test as gaminde recommended above.

Thanks again,

Comment

If you can push it and then it works it's starting to sound like motor brushes getting short

Comment

Here is my thinking if the brushes are weak you can press the pedal and maybe here a buzzing sound, maybe a smell and sometimes nothing.

put someone in the cart to drive and push them let them press the pedal and see if it works just keep it rolling when they push.

Now cart just sitting there and pressing the pedal there is a large inrush current, by just lightly pressing the pedal less current is delivered, brushes not seated correctly will allow a lower current to pass without arcing, higher current will arc and motor will sit there.

you really can't check the brushes with a meter at this point if there was arcing resistance will be high, there also could be a bad spot on the armature this could be checked with a meter.

What I would try is jacking up the one side back remove the tire/wheel and pull the back of the motor off this will pull the brushes and all then check the commutator light sanding with emery cloth strip and look at brushes most likely worn.

Comment

Did you jumper the large posts on the solenoid and does it run.

Comment

Yes, I jumped the large posts on the solenoid, no luck.

One more thing I just noticed, might be another clue.

Ususally, when pushing the accelerator (F or R), it actually does start to move, ever so slightly. I mean you have to listen and pay attention or you would hardly notice, but that kind of tells me everything is engaging (or at least trying too).

To better explain how I ususally get this to work. When I push the accelerator and it will not go. I slowly push it until I hear the solenoild click and I get that little effort to move, if it doesn't, I back off and keep doing the same thing. Eventually, as I slowly push the pedal it take off like normal.

The other item worth mentioning. When it doesn't move, and you keep pushing the accelerator, if you push it too fast, it sometimes it will 'catch' and surge forward fast just a bit then stop again.

I don't know if that helps any, this is very strange problem. I have NEVER been stuck in this thing yet! But I sat there for 2-3 minutes before pushing the pedal wondering if was ever go!

Thanks again for all of the help

Comment

Did you try pushing it and keeping it moving then press the petal,

Comment

Yes, I have tried pushing it and hitting the pedal. It seemed at times that worked, but I tried again last night over and over. Here's what happened.

Push Pedal Click, slight jump nothing (3 times).
                        Push Pedal Click moved fine (4th time).
                        Push Pedal Click, slight jump nothing (5th time).
                        Push to get slowly rolling, Push Pedal, moved fine (6th time).
                        Push to get slowly rolling, Push Pedal, click, nothing (7th time).
                        etc.etc....

The bottom line is no, getting it rolling will not get it going all of the time, at least at slow speeds. Either way it's inconsistant.

I am thinking of replacing the solenoid and microswitches. The only thing that gets me now is that very slight jump forward. That would seem to indicate the solenoid and microswitches are working, but something else is keeping it from moving.

Again, thanks for all of the help. If this was not an older cart, and parts were not so expensive I would just start swapping things out! I at least want to narrow this problem down the best that I can before I do that.

Comment

Have you done the resistance check of the throttle at the controller, is there a large resistor across the two big terminals on the solenoid.

Comment

I will check the reistance tonight, but I might just buy some new resistors. I think they are cheap.

I ordered a solenoid, even though the old one tested fine. Not a loss for $20!

I did have one question, I was testing the voltage to the solenoid last night. I don't remember the numbers, but I would get a reading when pushing the pedal, click, no go. Eventually when the car started running, that reading went to zero.

I guess that is normal? But don't know what it means? It seems like the solenoid was being supplied power/clicked and stayed activated as long as I held the pedal down (even when the car didn't move). Then when it eventually did move, that reading went to zero.

Comment

Couple of things here Not knowing how are you hooked the meter up that could be correct 0 volts. I mentioned testing at controller For resistance Resistors are most likely good But is the controller seeing the correct resistance.
                              Updated by gaminde; June 12, 2012, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X