Battery refurb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery refurb question

I looked under the search section for this but didn't see anything so forgive me if I missed something obvious.
    I was reading up on refurbishing batteries and what I read said to use distilled water and 15% epsom salt. Does that mean that the epsom salt should be 15% of the total mixture or that the epsom salt itself should be 15% type?

i have NEVER heard of epson salts in a battery. i'd be araid it would neutralize the acid.

Comment

I did a google search and found it on a couple of web sites.

Comment

ysuusy.com/Lead_Acid_Car_Battery_Repair.html

Guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. There are a lot of references to this procedure. I guess it might be ok, as long as you aren't going to take the cart too far from home. I don't think I'd trust it were I to have to push the cart back a mile or three.

Comment

http://www.ehow.com/how_4928478_refu...t-battery.html

Makes me wonder.

I've been a heavy truck mechanic for years and also have been around automotive batteries since I was a teenager and this procedure is new to me. It's also funny that the article never explains how to get rid of the old battery acid properly as it is hazardous waste.

I would also be concerned about having a good balance of voltage across all the cells and batteries after they were "refurbished".

My opinion tells me that this is all "snake oil"......... Just sayin.

Comment

I actually tried this remedy. I also had read several articles on it, even several utube vids. I bought elec cart and was told batteries were 14 months old (turned out they were 5 years old). I figured it was worth a try so i did. Maybe batteries were beyond saving but couldnt tell much difference after the treatment. If they are gone you don't have much to lose!! Good luck. Hope this helps.

Comment

I purchased a 06 precedent last year with 12v 07 batteries, the guy I got it from did this its still working I do need batteries but I will run them till they won't climb the hill to my house.

The acid you remove mix some baking soda in and its now safe.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to at least try it. I would need 6 new batteries and don't want to drop that much money in it because my daughter is t only one who drives it around our neighborhood and next year she gets hers drivers license so I'm trying to stay on the cheap. I'll post as to how it turns out.

Comment

It is crap, won't last.

All it does is change the specific gravity, temporarily. As soon as you put a load on them, or let them sit for a couple days, you will be back to nothing.

I mean you have nothing to lose as far as money, for trying. But if you think you are going to get out of buying a new battery, you will still need to buy one.

I have a 5,000.00 machine that the military uses to refurbish batteries, you don't add anything inside the battery. No epsom salts, no secret sauce, etc.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X