New to the Forum & Cart World!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum & Cart World!

Just bought a 2012 Remanufactured electric Precedent. It has a basic light kit installed already, but need to make it "street ready" -- i.e., add turn signals & brake lights.

Got both kits, and then discovered the basic wiring doesn't include a brake relay. Neither wiring kit includes one. The well-known provider of aftermarket parts where I got my kits doesn't seem to be able to come up with the relay I need. Haven't been unable to find one on eBay, or any parts providers that have just the relay for sale.

Any suggestions? I need a relay that uses 48 vdc to operate the coil, to provide 12 volts to my brake circuit.
    Updated by StrikeEagle; March 10, 2012, 06:35 PM.

Welcome to the Golf Cart World!!!

There are a few good electric people on this forum they should be in this thread in a bit!

Matti
    Regards

Comment

the light kit should already be set up at 12volts. I personally have not used a relay for the brake lights and never had a problem but that does not mean I wired it correctly. what type of switch are you using to activate the brake lights? there are two different types that I know of - a push button style and a pad type that will cover that entire pedal ( that is the one I prefer) the later is a bit more pricey then the other though. can you post a picture of what you got?
      Updated by dwon5; March 11, 2012, 08:23 AM.
      IF WE CAN'T HELP OTHERS THEN WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE
      sigpic

Comment

On my web site under parts I have a relay listed for the chargers that will work, but you only need to switch the 12 volts direct to the lights. Maybe post a schematic for us to look at. I wonder if the relay yoir looking for is not a time delay relay?

Comment

Thanks for the responses, dwon5 and gaminde,

The schematic provided by the business where I got my wiring kits is copyrighted, otherwise I would copy it and post it here.

Madjax's installation instructions (which are virtually identical to the instructions provided with my kit) for their Ultimate Light Kit Upgrade for CC Precedent shows the relay on the second page. The wires connected to the relay are the same in my kit. The main difference is that I'm using a pushbutton switch rather than the brake switch with a spring.

The schematic shows a picture of a relay that appears to be just like the charging relay used on the CC. There are a number of the charging relays available on eBay.

I think you are right, gaminde, about the charging relay and brake relay being the same. I was able to see the manufacturer's name and switch number on the picture of the brake relay in the schematic in my instructions. Went to the manufacturer's website and
          found the relay. The relay coil is operated by 48 vdc to provide 12 vdc to the brake light circuit.

I'm going to pick up a relay off eBay, if the seller can tell me the relay specs are what I need.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

from what I have seen in the past Madjax's uses a time delay relay but maybe not for all setups. go to my website and look for parts list on the left I have it listed where to buy the relay for around $2.50 and the relay data sheet is on there website.

good luck and keep us informed

Comment

The kit I have uses a timer.

There are several kits out there that upgrade lights to add turn signals and brake lights using different components. Some use a micro switch and timer, some use a pushbutton switch and timer, a switch with a spring on it and a timer, and others use two pushbutton switches but no timer. The brake switch mounts in different locations, depending on the year of the cart.

The kit I ordered included a micro switch, but I used a HD pushbutton switch instead.

Went to your website and then to the source website and ordered the relay I need. My cart should be running and just about "street ready" very shortly after the rely arrives - maybe by the end of the week!!

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Ordered a power relay...connected everything together per the instructions and everything worked just like it was supposed to work!! No smoking wires or arcing!!

BTW, the relay I ordered is the same as the power relay that is used in the cart's charging circuitry.

Thanks for the help. Mechanical stuff....I can usually figure it out, but when working with the electrical stuff, I usually wind up with hot melted insulation at least once before getting it right!!

Comment

The simplest thing to do is use a 48 volt activated solenoid. Tie the small terminal's to the 48 volts of the cart and the big terminals to the 12 volt battery. When you turn the key switch off the brake lights go out. When you turn the key back on the brake lights will function as you want them to.
                  You can use this for all the 12 volt stuff on the cart with no messy relays and such.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X