Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do!

Here is what I have guy's.

I tried everything I knew to getter going no luck. The first thing I found wrong was the #1 solenoid was broke the whole bottom of it had come out of it. Had the motor almost off and bam. Terminal cracked off well almost. Dang, Guess it's time for a PQ build again. The speed senor wires were pulled out of the connector at the controller as well they were to short for the lift and I guess jerked out while riding it. The F-2 cables was short to so that's when I decided to swap it. Oh well.
    The cart:

sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

wiring nightmare.

I would start with a wiring diagram. Regroup all wires, shield those resistor coils, clean all connections. Did it come with a tag, if so let me know the year. I think it is a matter of really REALLY cruddy wiring and a few bad units like the solenoids and motor and maybe a microswitch.
    Regards

Comment

The cart appears to be a late 90's DS, PowerDrive Plus, 48v, sepex motor with a Regen 1 controller.
      I didn't have your model wiring diagram posted so I did one and you can find it here:PowerDrive Plus Wiring Diagram

The complete service manual for that cart is located here: Club Car 95-96 Elect-Gas Service Manual
      Updated by dougmcp; January 6, 2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Doug I have that one and the other one with out the tow switch. Mine doesn't have the switch. This is what I been working off of.

http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/FX302_R1.pdf

I went ahead and stripped down and going to use the 5k-0 throttle with the alltrax controller I have and make it a series cart I guess. I have all the stuff to do it just have to strip the harness which I have already done pretty much. Just have to get the right wires to point A to point B! Thanks if you have any comments keep them coming. I'm going to need all the I can get on this thing!
        sigpic
        I'm here to help!

Comment

If you have all the stuff (motor, controller and throttle) to do the sepex-series change then other than some wiring it should work fine.
          Have you thought about just getting it running as is and getting a different cart?

Comment

The problem is I broke the one stud off on the spex motor so I have no other choice right now but to make it a series cart. I've just finshed labeling everything for the conversion I think. I tried to getting running but the wiring was a mess and the red and green motor speed senor wires where pulled out of the connections and broke. I think they were to short for the lift and that's what caused it to quit.
            I used the wiring for a 1998 2000 C/C v-glide which I will install a F/R contactor to use the orignal F/R switch also. I think I have it all.

This is the schematic I used to figure out the wires from the MCOR and F/R switch. The colors aren't all the same but should work.

Updated by andy4639; January 7, 2012, 12:00 AM.
            sigpic
            I'm here to help!

Comment

I need to go to bed. I can't even get a good picture of the numbers.

I'll try again in the morning. Night!

sigpic
              I'm here to help!

Comment

Posted earlier by andy4639 View Post
                I need to go to bed. I can't even get a good picture of the numbers.

I'll try again in the morning. Night!

I wish I could help you Andy but Im just starting my education on electrics. Ill be needing your help.

Comment

Thanks that's fine I understand. I think I have it figured out. I will be taking pictures of this all afternoon while I change everything out. I will have to buy a 48 volt F/R contactor but I have a older 24 volt coil one I will use for now just for wiring and to see if it runs.
                  Thanks guys for all the help.
                  sigpic
                  I'm here to help!

Comment

Andy
                    They sell stud kits for the motor cheep, you don't need the second solenoid, resister coil or the speed sensor, if the controller is good you can still use the toggle switch for f/r. so you could get it running for around 50 to 75 bucks and then figure out what you really want to do with it.

Comment

To late done put the series motor in and wired it up. Got to run the activation wiring now and it will be running I hope.
                      I'm going to get Robby I hope @ PQ to trade me a series built motor for the spex motor and controller. I've been taking pictures as I go so later tonight I will start down loading them.

Going to get back on it. Just took a break for lunch.
                      sigpic
                      I'm here to help!

Comment

Yea Ha! It's running and doing fine I programed the controller and it runs great on the jack stands. I need regular batteries but other than that it's good to go. I used all the factory wiring and did away with what I didn't need.

Here are some pics.
                        The donor cart:

The Motor:

Cables I made for it:

Cables and controller:

Forward / Reverse contactor and main contactor:

The batteries I used for trouble shooting!

Digital battery meter I'm going to install. That was with the charger plug up to the cart through the factory plug with a auto charger and my adapter plug.
                        sigpic
                        I'm here to help!

Comment

ahh yes nice and clean! Great craftsmanship Andy and nice work. You did great timing! Cant wait to see how it further turns out

P.S. Nice chevy p/u!
                          Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
                            ahh yes nice and clean! Great craftsmanship Andy and nice work. You did great timing! Cant wait to see how it further turns out

P.S. Nice chevy p/u!
                            Thanks on both, the truck is my other toy and money pit. You can see it on the website I linked to.

Now I can start on the Pink body and top, Andrea called the lady that does my seats and asked about Hot Pink seats with black inserts. She said she would find out Monday if they have the material for it.
                            Updated by andy4639; January 7, 2012, 08:22 PM.
                            sigpic
                            I'm here to help!

Comment

I GOT to see how this one turns out!
                              Regards

Comment

eew PINK

Maybe the pinstripe, even that's EEW

andy I think its time for you to go to bed and think about this!!!

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                                  eew PINK

Maybe the pinstripe, even that's EEW

andy I think its time for you to go to bed and think about this!!!
                                  Yea I know but she is paying for it so it's going to be her cart for off roading when we go to the CAW in March.

I added the volt meter to the dash.
                                  I may work on the lights now that I'm on a roll.

sigpic
                                  I'm here to help!

Comment

Got the front lights wired and working also.
                                    sigpic
                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

awesome progress!
                                      Regards

Comment

awesome progress!
                                        I'm getting there! I'm done for the night though. Tomorrow is front end stuf and rear end.
                                        I think this cart was used to put the guy's wave runner in the Ocean. The metal stuff has all kinds of rust scale on it. The back step plate had a ball mounted to it at some point. It's all but gone from rust.
                                        The guy lived on the Marsh at Garden City SC and had a boat ramp in the back yard with all kinds of water toy's!
                                        The top of it looks good compared to the bottom.

I will try to explain how I ran the wires later on this project since it was a easy swap just time consumming.
                                        sigpic
                                        I'm here to help!

Comment

Great job on the switch over.
                                          If you get PQ to do a 36v motor for that cart, with 48v you should be able to nearly 30mph out of it.
                                          I found some cool pink CCs right in your neck of the woods, maybe for some ideas check them out: http://www.201ecooperave.com/addons.html
                                          Updated by dougmcp; January 7, 2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

awesome progress!
                                            Matti I agree
                                            My build !! 2 weeks to think about it, then put the two carts together and another week to think about it, then another week to clean an area to work in, and two weeks to find my tools by then I won't be able to find the carts they will be buried somewhere.

Andy! nothing says cart build better than ADHD! Get Er Done!

Pink
                                            thought about it I might do a hunting cart pink, all the animals would be roiling on the floor laughing so hard I could use a club, no more bullets or guns the new E-Hunting.

Comment

Well I have only certain times when I can do this stuff so the wife leaves me alone and I just go out into the garage and work. Working 12 hr shifts doesn't leave much time before are after wok to do anything.

Pink, maybe I need to change my signature!
                                              sigpic
                                              I'm here to help!

Comment

Matti I agree
                                                My build !! 2 weeks to think about it, then put the two carts together and another week to think about it, then another week to clean an area to work in, and two weeks to find my tools by then I won't be able to find the carts they will be buried somewhere.
                                                Can't complain about being too fast! This is great I love to see the progress. Keep up the good work Andy!!!
                                                Regards

Comment

Well I thought today was going to be a little better but it turned out to be a bear! I got everything wired and decided to take it for a quick spin. The throttle would only work about half way!
                                                  Got it back to the garage and got the computer hooked up and made sure it was OK, it was. So then I crawl under it and start on the MCOR switch. I rember why I hate C/C again now. It's working but by the Altrax controller it's not going wide open.
                                                  I guess I'l have to buy a new one are swap it out to a EZGO pot. One is about as hard as the other.

On another better note I did get the brakes all clean and relubed and working correctely now along with the park brake!

I think the cart is a 1995 model according to the #.
                                                  A9547-474707
                                                  Updated by andy4639; January 8, 2012, 11:17 PM.
                                                  sigpic
                                                  I'm here to help!

Comment

I have a old V-Glide I could mount in the cart. I just went and looked at it. It should work fine. Just have to modify the gas linkage to work with it. I think I have all that to come to think of it.

sigpic
                                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

Matti I agree

Andy! nothing says cart build better than ADHD!
                                                      lol! a couple months ago i got fed up with working in a space not too much bigger than the cart. fast forward to today; 3/4 of the garage is remodeled, junk scatted across the lawn, still barely enough room for one golf cart.

cool project andy! i've been keeping my eye out for a old beater like that. pink is the new brown fyi.
                                                      -sj

Comment

My garage is just bigg enough for my truck, Tahoe and 2 carts. If I don't pull one of the vehicles out I can't hardly get around them. I had the Tahoe sitting outside all weekend long to work on it. Now I have to wash it again it's been raining all weekend!
                                                        sigpic
                                                        I'm here to help!

Comment

Ok,
                                                          got home at 5:30 am and the V-glid is installed. Linkage and all. I hope this works. Put a turn buckle from lowes on the gas pedal so I could fine tune it. Seems to be right.
                                                          Tweeked it and it's running full speed and low speed with no jerking.

Redid the brake spring the one in the picture was weak so I added new ones. Spring door and a old matteriss one! Really.

sigpic
                                                          I'm here to help!

Comment

Andy: your cart is almost exactly like mine. what year/model is it??

Comment

1995 as the tag say's! Who knows I'm not expert on these.
                                                              sigpic
                                                              I'm here to help!

Comment

Here is the linkage hooked up. The V-glid does pretty good. The turn buckle worked out great. The nylon bushing did to. Old spring door works great with the mattress old spring.
                                                                It works smooth all the way through now with no jerking.

sigpic
                                                                I'm here to help!

Comment

Great idea with the turnbuckle Andy.
                                                                  Nice job on getting it all going!

Comment

Now all I need is a set of Batteries and it's done! Well the running gear anyway. Radio, and other stuf paint, suspition those minor details!!!!
                                                                    sigpic
                                                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

Got the rusted foot board off. Going to try and make one myself. I 'll post later what I do.

sigpic
                                                                      I'm here to help!

Comment

Rusted foot board draw it up in auto cad get a piece of aluminum and have it water jetted out mounting holes and all

Comment

I took the back seat off and flipped it around. Going to get it sandblasted tomorrow and use it as a bed for the CAW off roading then have the seat where we can just stick it back on when needed.
                                                                          sigpic
                                                                          I'm here to help!

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Amazing work.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Last night I adjusted the front steering, greased the front end and changed the rear end dope. I plan to buy batteries Thursday for it and another cart I have to go pick up and redo.
                                                                                Drpped the frame and brackets off and he said he would have them ready by Wenesday. Blasted and primered for $30.00!
                                                                                sigpic
                                                                                I'm here to help!

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Got home from the beach and mocked up the bed. I'll take it back off to paint it and put the deck on it.

sigpic
                                                                                  I'm here to help!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I never thought I would say this but Nice Rack!
                                                                                    So is the plan to just unbolt it and bolt on a seat afterwards?

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      That was my orignal plan but I think now it may just stay a bed! I'm not 100% on that yet though.
                                                                                      sigpic
                                                                                      I'm here to help!

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Why not try a couple of pull pins to be able to reverse the rack back into a seat. You could line the bed with expanded metal or plywood and the put velcro on a seat cushion and back rest and then just flip it around and add the seats.
                                                                                        Here's the pins I was thinking about:

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Looks great Andy!!! So I assume now after seeing this my 98 ds 48v series had that vglide thing. Hmmmmm.......

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Ran into a snag today on it.
                                                                                            I installed all new 48 volt batteries and the thing says I have a open circuit. I get 2 green lights then a red light.

LED continually flashes
                                                                                            red
                                                                                            Open throttle alarm
                                                                                            · Check for a break in throttle wires or bad crimps
                                                                                            · Replace throttle assembly
                                                                                            I hope the v-glide didn't die on me.
                                                                                            sigpic
                                                                                            I'm here to help!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Put a 2.5K resistor across the wires

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                What wires? I need to check all my connections first I think. I may have pulled a crimp loose I hope when putting all of them in the conduit!
                                                                                                sigpic
                                                                                                I'm here to help!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I'm sorry
                                                                                                  I read the post to say open throttle alarm, to me this meant that the two wires going to the v glide that tell the controller what speed were open. if you put a 2.5k resistor on those two wires in place of the v glide you will check all connections to controller, if it works then its v glide if it does not work its throttle wires / connections to controller.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Thanks for the info on what to do.

I found the problem. It was the micro switch. I guess I wired it backwards when I did it last time. It's all working now. Just went for a test ride. Everything is wired and working. Lights digital meter everything!

Even took the front steering apart and adjusted it so you have full turns in either direction.
                                                                                                    sigpic
                                                                                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

• #51
                                                                                                      Andy, can you please explain that last part?

Comment

• #52
                                                                                                        The steering was way out of wack. You have 3 1/2 turns from left to right. Turning right it only would turn half of the way. I put it back in the middle of the turns.
                                                                                                        sigpic
                                                                                                        I'm here to help!

Comment

• #53
                                                                                                          Now you're a Club Car expert!

Comment

• #54
                                                                                                            Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                                                                                                            Now you're a Club Car expert!
                                                                                                            I don't know about that but I know one thing. I hate them compared to a EZGO!
                                                                                                            sigpic
                                                                                                            I'm here to help!

Comment

• #55
                                                                                                              Amen to that. They are a royal PITA to work on.

Comment

• #56
                                                                                                                I put the charger back together as it should be without the jumper. I connected the grey wire on the cart to the main - and it worked as described.
                                                                                                                I will some how figure a way to make it automatic again at some point but for now I just have to watch it.

I just ordered the auto-processing timmer from the PQ site to make it work.
                                                                                                                Updated by andy4639; January 26, 2012, 07:53 PM.
                                                                                                                sigpic
                                                                                                                I'm here to help!

Comment

• #57
                                                                                                                  How much do you want to spend I have two ideas one is like the old chargers just a manual twist timer the other is a time delay relay with a pushbutton on the outside of the charger just push the push button and charger runs for a preset time and shuts off.

Comment

• #58
                                                                                                                    How much do you want to spend I have two ideas one is like the old chargers just a manual twist timer the other is a time delay relay with a pushbutton on the outside of the charger just push the push button and charger runs for a preset time and shuts off.
                                                                                                                    I ordered the auto timmer. Post above yours.

Alternative to O.B.C. replacement timer. Timer for timerless Lester charger. Comes with wiring diagram for O.B.C. bypass • Can be used to replace on-board computer • Easily mounts to original charger • Four wire connections • Full color instructions and wiring diagram • Can be used as timer replacements in all Ferro-resonant style chargers • LED light indication • Small compact size for external mounting (3.25” x 3.25”) • Not for SCR chargers. Fits Club Car electric 1995-up 48-volt
                                                                                                                    sigpic
                                                                                                                    I'm here to help!

Comment

• #59
                                                                                                                      How much are those timers

Comment

• #60
                                                                                                                        Andy

the link below has a manual timer for 47.00 there are many other sites with this relay, these could be wired into the charger, and would allow both manual operation and standard operation of the charger, with and without OBC.

this could also be done with a time delay relay and push-button switch not sure of prices yet.

I looked on PQ site did not see the timer you used. I did see a charger relay for 27.00 and these can be purchased for less than 4.00. that is some markup!!

http://www.golfcarttrader.com/batt_c...rol_boards.htm

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                                                                                        Loading
                                                                                                                        X