Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best golf cart to convert to hunting buggy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best golf cart to convert to hunting buggy?

I am looking to start a project to convert a golf cart to a hunting buggy and need help selecting the best golf cart to start with?

I want an electric cart. I have looked at both EZ GO and Club Cars.

Can anyone help me out or provide info that can help me make my decision?

to GCF Carnejm! Glad to have you here.
    There's lots of info here to help with your decisions.
    Most people who use carts for hunting prefer series motor carts because of their torque and they are also more suited to lifting with large tires.
    The info I mentioned on the other forum is located here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/genera...do-i-have.html
    Here is some info on Ezgo: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/genera...s-nothing.html
    Take a look around, we're more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Updated by dougmcp; November 23, 2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Check out this one right here http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...ods-buggy.html

Something like that would be sweet, maybe add a lift kit.

Club Cars went to a controller setup in 95, that being the first year, you might want to purchase something around the year 2000 which tend to be less problematic.

EZGO's are simple, as for electric I would recommend a TXT preferibly the series wound models after and around the year 95.
      Regards

Comment

Just to make sure we are on the same page, is this what you are referring to in series?

http://www.mikeysmotors.com/2008_EZ-..._139475067.veh

Comment

Based on the photos from that site the green Ezgo TXT is a series motor cart.
          That style etc would be my choice for a hunting conversion.
          Ezgo also has the most available aftermarket parts to choose from as well as information like manuals available.
          If this is the cart you choose, we have the wiring diagrams and service manuals for it here.
          That price looks good to me but I would try to beat him up a little and see if he would put new batteries in it or a credit for same.
          Updated by dougmcp; November 23, 2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Yea that cart probably has original batteries in it.
            Regards

Comment

Thank you for the info. It was very helpful.

I do have one more question. I heard that EZGO makes a steel frame that will rust out vs Club Car that makes an alluminum frame. Should I be concerned either way here?

Comment

Sorry.. One more I forgot to ask.

If I go with the EZGO 36v series cart, will I need to upgrade the motor/controller/ ect.... to perform effiecently and well in the woods? (slow driving, extended up hill rides, ect...)

Comment

Posted earlier by Carnejm View Post
                  Thank you for the info. It was very helpful.

I do have one more question. I heard that EZGO makes a steel frame that will rust out vs Club Car that makes an alluminum frame. Should I be concerned either way here?
                  The only rust you are likely to get is around the battery tray area.
                  There are some advantages for aluminum over steel but other than weight IMO it is all theoretical and not practical when it comes to a cart.
                  Both metals will corrode, oxidization appears on steel in something people call rust, on aluminum, a similar thing happens except that it is white and it's called corrosion.

Comment

Posted earlier by Carnejm View Post
                    Sorry.. One more I forgot to ask.

If I go with the EZGO 36v series cart, will I need to upgrade the motor/controller/ ect.... to perform effiecently and well in the woods? (slow driving, extended up hill rides, ect...)
                    Depending on your driving style, the conditions you plan to be in, the stock motor and controller may be fine. If you want something more extreme you can have your motor rewound for power for about $225 and 400amp upgraded controllers can be had for around $350.
                    There is no difference in power between the 36v Ezgo cart and the 48v Club Car.
                    To increase power and torque by 30% on a 48v Club Car simply change to a 36v motor, on a 36v Ezgo you would need to change the controller, solenoid and upgrade to 48v.

Are you confused yet?

Comment

Frames; correct on the oxidation observation but another note; aluminum will work harden and crack, (think about bending a piece of steel wire back and forth until it breaks. In a nutshell, that is work hardening. Aluminum will break much more quickly, especially at the welds where the heat makes the aluminum brittle). Steel is more forgiving in a flexural situation which is far more likely in a cart that will be driven on surfaces less friendly than around the yard, a golf course etc. The steel would definitely be the better course for longer frame life. I doubt seriously you would be overly concerned with top speed so the extra weight should not be a penalty.
                      Aluminum is great for most applications but should not be the first choice for off-roading.
                      Along these lines, anyone looking at buying an aluminum framed cart should look carefully at the welds on the frame for evidence of cracking.
                      Gimpy

Comment

This isn't a series cart, however I think it is a good deal.

2006 Club Car Precedent 48v for $1100. Needs new batteries.

What do you think?

Comment

dougmcp,

Can you elaborate on "To increase power and torque by 30% on a 48v Club Car simply change to a 36v motor"? Do you mean I would simplily just swap the motors out? I assume it has to do with the controller thinking the motor is 48v and pushing more power?

I am by no means an expirienced eletrician.

Thanks, JC

Comment

Yes, all you would have to do is swap the motor, no other changes.
                            I am only referring to series motors as CC doesn't make sepex motors in 36v.
                            Series motors are dependent on voltage and can generally be driven at almost any reasonable voltage from 24v up to 72v. The HP rating also goes up as you apply more voltage. You even see motor specs that list them as 36v/48v and the HP rated at 7/11HP. The only thing that restricts what you can really do with them is the rpm of the motor. Most golf cart motors spin at rpms from 1650 to 4000 and are rated to spin up to 8000 before they crater. That being said the higher you run them, the less efficient they become and the lifespan is also reduced
                            I have a cart that has a 36v motor that I currently run on 48v but it would be safe to even apply 72v to this as long as I don't exceed the terminal rpm of the motor. I use this cart for street and golf so I have kept the max speed to 30mph.
                            Updated by dougmcp; November 28, 2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

sorry for jumping in here, but I am looking for a cart and cant decide 36 or 48! is it feasible to get an EZ go @36 and then later upgrade the motor and controller to pick up some speed and if so can you also retain or gain some torque by doing that?

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X