winter battery storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter battery storage

What is the best way to protect your batteries during the winter in Wisconsin?

Keep them clean, watered and charged, at least every 30 days run a charge cycle on them.

If it gets VERY cold, remove them from the cart, and keep in heated part of house, charge every 30 days.
    Regards

Comment

There is no need to remove the batteries from the cart...Make sure there is plenty of distilled water in them, charge the batteries fully...then disconnect the main + and - wires. That way the batteries will sit dormant all winter long. You should do this even if you are storing it for extended periods of time.
      If you have a cart that has a "tow/run" switch..you do not have to disconnect any wires..after charging, flip the tow/run switch to "tow". I recommend disconnecting one main wire(altho they say it is not necessary.)

Comment

I'm not too far from you. Before I store my batteries, I make sure they are fully charged. I removed my batteries and I have them in my basement. I have the batteries from the golf cart, two batteries for my garden tractors, and one for my motorcycle all within arms length of each other. I have a Battery Tender that I move to a different battery each week. I keep an eye on the water level each time I move the tender.

As far as keeping batteries outside,,,,, a fully charged battery will freeze at -60 degrees F. My opinion is that I would rather tend to my batteries in a warm basement, than out in a shed, or under a tree wherever the cart is being stored for the winter outdoors.

The "best" way is whatever gives you the most piece of mind.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X