G1 will not crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1 will not crank

I have a Yamaha G1 that has been sitting for a while(about 1 year). I replaced the battery, drained fuel, cleaned carb. I cannot get this thing to crank. the starter relays click, but not all the time. I'm getting 12v at all locations on the starter. I havent checked the stop switch on the gas pedal. Not sure what i should be getting coming off the starter relays. I have 12v on the front of the 2 outer posts and 12v across the 4 rear posts. lookin for some direction.

Possibly a faulty starter gen. Check brushes.

Comment

Thanks, I will check that out.

Comment

Pulled starter/generator off and opened her up. brushes look a little worn. I'm not quite sure how I would tell if this is bad or not. I have continuity between the posts on either side of the starter and I have continuity between the end posts and the brushes. Don"t know what else to look for. I am planning on taking this to a motor shop and have them run a full test.

Comment

To check if starter gen is good, get a jumper cable. Connect the positive side to the F2 of the starter. The negative connect to the A1. The starter should turn. (The F1 and A2 should be connected).

If the starter is good, trace the connection from the key switch to the positive side of the solenoid. Just check if there is continuity. If there is but still the starter does not crank, the solenoids must be faulty or the connections to the solenoid are bad.

Comment

Brushes were bad in starter generator. Had that repaired. I also have a bad solenoid. Cart still would not start. I had to jump the solenoids with the key on and the gas pedal depressed...then it cranked. Thanks for the direction.

Comment

Replaced solenoid, now I have a fuel pump issue. She cranks but i have no fuel getting to my carb.

Comment

Posted earlier by crazyned View Post
                Replaced solenoid, now I have a fuel pump issue. She cranks but i have no fuel getting to my carb.
                Pull off the main fuel supply right off the carburetor. Make sure the golf cart has gas and then push the pedal. Fuel should gush out, if not you have a fuel pump problem. Either take it off and take it apart to see what the issue is or order a whole new one all together.
                Regards

Comment

Looks like the fuel pump is the culprit. I pulled off the hose to the carb and nothing. To ensure it wasnt something else in the line, i put some suction on the line at it was drawing fuel all the way to the pump.
                  It doesnt look like there is too much to these, I am guessing the diaphragms go bad or dry out? It wasn't really gunked up. Cleaned it up, but I think I am going to go with a new one anyway. Thanks AGAIN for your knowledge.

Comment

Posted earlier by crazyned View Post
                    Looks like the fuel pump is the culprit. I pulled off the hose to the carb and nothing. To ensure it wasnt something else in the line, i put some suction on the line at it was drawing fuel all the way to the pump.
                    It doesnt look like there is too much to these, I am guessing the diaphragms go bad or dry out? It wasn't really gunked up. Cleaned it up, but I think I am going to go with a new one anyway. Thanks AGAIN for your knowledge.
                    Yep either buy a repair kit or replace the whole unit.
                    Regards

Comment

A repair kit costs almost as much as a new pump. Consider buying a new pump instead.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X