1997 G16 Trouble Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 G16 Trouble Starting

Sometimes when I step on the gas pedal nothing happens on my 1997 G16 Gas Cart. No sounds at all. The starter has been rebuilt. This is an occaisional thing. Could this be dirty connection somewhere? Please offer some suggestions to try. Thanks.

Hello leanman, the best thing to do in this situation is when it stops running, try and jump the solenoid with a jumper cable across the 2 large posts. If the cart moves again, than your problem is the solenoid. A common problem.
    Regards

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Leanman

Comment

I think I may need to explain the symptoms a little more. I step on the gas pedal the solonoid clicks the starter engages and trys to drive the belt but it's like theres not enough power to spin the motor & engage the clutch. If I move the cart forward or backwards it will go. The starter was rebuilt and the company told me they load tested it. Is there a min/max load rating? Could I have a dead spot on my crank? Could it be the clutch? Sorry for all the questions but it's frustrating.

Thanks,

Leanman

Comment

Oh I see. That is because your starter is turning but your engine is not running. This can be due to quite a few things but in order to test it you need to have some experience. It has nothing to do with the clutches.

Not sure why moving the cart forward and backwards makes the engine run again though.
          Regards

Comment

Hi Matti, I checked my battery without load and it read 12.3 Volts. I then tested under load and it dropped to 5.5 Volts. Does this mean my battery is shot or should it drop under load and then when it starts it comes back up?

Leanman

Comment

Yes, I should have said that first, moving the cart to get it to work again threw me off a bit . Your battery is shot at those readings, replace it and the problem will be fixed
              Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X