Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G14 issues. I can fix, need diagnosis help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G14 issues. I can fix, need diagnosis help!

I've looked around & searched, but didn't find what I was after.

I just bought a 1995 G14 today (08/15/09) that looked really good, but has some issues. I got skinned, but I'm going to fix it up for use at Bluegrass festivals and sporting clay shoots.

#1. It doesn't have a great deal of power and slips the drive belt some when trying to take off uphill. Belt is still 1.125" wide, but appears to have glazed edges like it has been slipping already. Top speed seems slow, something like 8, maybe 10 mph. I have adjusted the governer and achieved better speed and acceleration up to top speed. I'm starting with a new belt for this.

#2. It is burning some oil, but not severe (I hope?). It has new Castrol 10W-30 I just changed oil today. Here's an observation; long downhill run letting engine hold back, when I hit the gas again, it belches a huge cloud of blue smoke . Normal wide-open driving shows little or no smoke. Will this be rings or valve seals? (I haven't checked compression yet).

#3. I'm going to lift and upsize tires. Will I need a drive clutch kit or driven clutch kit, neither, both? Any other likely needs?

Thanks in advance for any and all info. I can fix this thing if I can figure out what to do. I think my biggest problem is low power / oil consuption. I expect I'll have to ring it. Adjusting the governer helped quite a bit!

Thanks,
    Tim

Forgot to mention; I adjusted the valves. The intake was way to too tight, (could not slip .002" in the gap) but the exhaust was OK or slightly loose. Set both at a snug .006" rather than .004" since the engine was still slightly warm when set. No change in performance that I could tell.

Comment

Hi tim.

1: If the belt looks old replace it, make sure the sheaves on the clutch have not worn down or flattened out, they should be in a V shape not a U shape.

2: If you adjusted the valves before you did a rebuild, your going to get smoke out of an old engine. This is because of any new pressure that is applied, it blows out the rings and seals. Make sure the oil is at the correct level, and if you are still getting smoke, I wouldn't doubt that it is time for a rebuild since its getting to be 15 years old.

3: you do not have to upgrade the clutch, I think they do sell springs for the clutch to increase torque if needed.

My advice, if you are doing a rebuild go all or go nothing, that means valve seals, rings and all gaskets and seals.

Hope this helps.
      Regards

Comment

I'll get a belt. Sheaves look at least fair.

Valve adjustment didn't change anything I could tell, including how much smoke the engine put out after decelleration and re-accellerating. I wish it would have increased compression, but it didn't seem to. BTW, what should the compression be in PSI?

I think I will go with a full rebuild kit. Any advice where I can pick up a shop manual at the best price?

FYI, here's some good info I found for those with G14s and want to see some exploded views of their machine.

http://www.cmsnl.com/g14-am-1995_model10180/partslist/

Comment

Anything above 135 PSI is fine. I am sending you a pm.
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X