G16 starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G16 starter problems

Hello all. I have a 96 G16 that all of a sudden the starter quit working. I ordered new brushes and put those in but that did not fix my problem. I tried jumping the starter directly to the battery bypassing the solenoid and got nothing. So I took the starter off to work on it on the work bench. I took it all apart and checked the brushes and connections. Well now I have a problem that is two fold.

1. I don't remember how the wires are connected to the starter. I have a short red one that has to connect one side terminal and one end terminal. The sides are F1 and F2 and the end ones are A1 and A2. I need help with where to connect those, and then which terminal goes to the solenoid and which one goes back to the ground on the battery.

2. How can I test what may be wrong with the starter if it does not spin up when I get it wired back up?

Are these easy to rebuild? Is there somplace online to get replacement parts?

Thanks for your help.
    Dean

Let's test the starter. Make sure the brushes and everything are in place. Put a jumper wire from A1 to F1 so they are connected. Now jump the A2 and F2 with a 12 volt battery. It does not matter which polarity. If the starter is good it will turn over. If that does not work, put a jumper wire from A1 to F1, and another jumper wire from A2 to F2. Now run a current from a 12 volt battery from the A1/F1 connection to the A2/F2 connection. If the starter is good it will turn over.

Most people purchase the whole starter if replacing the brushes does not fix the problem, they dont even bother to rebuild them unless you can cheaper at an electric motor store. Here is the wiring diagram for your cart http://www.golfcart-forums.com/attac...ng-diagram.gif
    Regards

Comment

Ok so I did both tests. In the first one the starter does absolutely nothing. When I added the second jumper from a2 to F2 and then connect the power supply from A1/F1 to A2/F2 it actually give me sparks like I am touching the two battery cables together.

Comment

Posted earlier by Dino615 View Post
        Ok so I did both tests. In the first one the starter does absolutely nothing. When I added the second jumper from a2 to F2 and then connect the power supply from A1/F1 to A2/F2 it actually give me sparks like I am touching the two battery cables together.
        You confirmed it, it should have moved on the first test. Starter is no good.
        Regards

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X