Cart not getting gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart not getting gas

I am trying to get my grandparents cart working. Its a late 90's 4 cycle. They let it sit a couple months and the battery died. So I put in a new battery. The cart turns over but wont fire. Just chugs 1 mile per hour. I put a new plug and gas in. I put a little gas down the hatch where the plug goes and when you put the pedal down it starts up and runs for a few seconds and dies again. So its not getting gas. I took off the fuel pump and it appears it is sucking gas but not pushing the gas out. I took the pump apart and cleaned out what I could but it appears ok to my naked eye...I also took out the carb and cleaned it good.

My Q is if I have the gas line going to the carburator from the fuel pump off the carb and give the cart gas at the pedal should fuel come out of that fuel line on its own or does it have to be hooked up to the carb in order to draw the fuel out of the pump.

Its got to be the fuel pump or the carburator Im assuming. If there is any other tests to run ie: test the fuel pump. Please tell me how. Im only in FL a couple more days. Fast replies appreciated!

Hey. The exit line on the fuel pump when removed (the ones that goes from the fuel pump to the carburetor) will pump gas out when the cart is turning over even if it is not connected. (thats how you test the fuel pump )

Also be sure EVERY part on the carburetor was removed and cleaned, every screw removed and inspected. Small holes that you cant get cleaner in can be opened by removing a thread on a steel brush and poking it in the hole.
    Regards

Comment

hey matti you answered my main Q with a quickness! thanks a ton. I never worked on a golf cart until today. So it looks like the culprit is the fuel pump. Spent most of the day on this cart. I was very meticulous with cleaning the carb and blowing in all those jets to push out whatever could be in them. I like the wire brush trick though I will keep that in mind. So looks like I already tested the fuel pump huh. lol

Comment

just an update that it indeed was the fuel pump. Popped in a new one this morning. $76.00 for the pump, and gave it the pedal and gas came out. hooked up the lines and went carting for the day all over FL.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed up in time
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X