headlights pulsating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlights pulsating

have a yamaha G16 headlights pulsate while running, If I unplug the 2 pronge plug going to starter generator they dont pulsate,brushes are good,regulater good.any idea what to check for next?

Hi jmck989, did this suddenly just start happening? Also, if your lights are directly connected to the battery check to make sure that the battery has over 12 volts while running.
    Regards

Comment

Hi Matti correct voltage at battery while running,problem has existed upon purchase last year, have never had to charge battery

Comment

Where are the lights wired up to on the cart? :confused:
        Regards

Comment

at battery, pos/neg and have tried neg on frame

Comment

Check out your battery, run a volt meter across it after the cart has been sitting for 24 hours then jack up the rear and run the motor at wide open throttle and check the battery as it is running. The voltage when sitting should read 12 volts, and while running almost 15 volts.
            Regards

Comment

I check it first thing tonite upon getting home battery had 12.88,14.85 while running.

Comment

Posted earlier by jmck989 View Post
                I check it first thing tonite upon getting home battery had 12.88,14.85 while running.
                Was this issue ever resolved ???

My 2000 (remanufactured in 2003) Yamaha is doing the same thing. I bought the cart in 2006 and it has had the pulsing headlight thing goin on since the day I bought it....

Comment

Posted earlier by JuanRodriguez View Post
                  Was this issue ever resolved ???

My 2000 (remanufactured in 2003) Yamaha is doing the same thing. I bought the cart in 2006 and it has had the pulsing headlight thing goin on since the day I bought it....
                  Try running the pos and neg connection directly to the batteries instead.
                  Regards

Comment

Juan ,My cart still does it today ,have had no luck in correcting this issue,I have given up hope of ever solving it.I hope you find the cure for yours.

Comment

If you are wired correctly and all the voltages are good, pulsating lights may be cured by adding a capacitor to level out the pulses.

Comment

Thanx, guys.... I appreciate all of the responses...

Comment

Dougmcp, the capacitor idea is intriguing-what value/size cap do you suggest ? Also, Juan do you happen to have a voltmeter installed? It would be interesting to see if the voltage fluctuates in relation to engine speed.
                          I seem to remember when cars had generators, before alternators were commonly used, that the mechanical voltage regulators could do all kinds of funny things but one of the situations that was common was that the generator could not produce enough voltage/current at low speeds to maintain a battery charge. Headlights would dim when the engine speed was low.This is why alternators became the preferred component.
                          Gimpy

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          X