No announcement yet.

Removed the head from my 95, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the head from my 95, now what?

My 95 began smoking pretty bad, then it got worse but it still runs good(?) I removed the head and found a small amount of oil on top of the piston. Normal? Valves have carbon on them. I thought valve guides might be bad or is this a deeper problem?

Didn't say what motor. But oil on the piston can be many problems. Over filled crankcase,plugged breather, bad rings, worn cylinder, worn valve guides. Carbon on the valves indicates its been burning oil for some time. Usually from lack of oil changes and over heating. Is there oil in the air filter? Or smoke coming out of the breather tube? What I would do since you have the head off is at the very least hone the cylinder and new rings. Look at your cylinder is there a ridge near the top of the cylinder, Is it just carbon or worn into the cylinder. You will have to scrape off the carbon on the ridge and feel if the cylinder is worn. More than likely a bore job is in order, new piston, rings. Plus cleaning and seating the valves. Usually the cylinder wears egg shape and a bore job is necessary to make it round again. Or new cylinder, piston and rings. Pix would be good!

You can get a standard or oversize piston/ring kit from Buggies Unlimited for about $60.00. A local machine or motorcycle shop would do a bore job anywhere from $40.00 to $80.00. New gaskets and some valve TLC you would have a new motor.
    Updated by Larry1950; September 15, 2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X