G1A Fixed! Now it needs to be faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1A Fixed! Now it needs to be faster

Well, I've learned a lot about how this thing works over the past week. Quite interesting actually.

I learned that although the cart is a 1979, the clutch is off a 1985 or later. Pre-1985 has a spring between the primary sheaves, post 1985 does not. I got my spring and took the clutch apart only to find that there was nowhere to put it.

I checked the compression and found 75lbs - not great, but not the end of the world. My dealer had rings and all the gaskets I needed on the shelf, so I took them and did the work yesterday. Now I have 95lbs. Still not great, but it'll do.

I found something interesting while I had the exhaust off. Apparently there is what I assume to be an engine brake - a plate valve that should be actuated by a cable. There was no cable on mine. I found that if I opened the valve and drove the cart it ran great - until I took my foot off the throttle - then the plate closed and did not reopen, lots of backpressure was created and the cart had no power. So I have removed the plate for now and life is good. I now have enough power to pull my asphalt drag racing snowmobile thru the pits at the dragway (the whole reason I bought this cart).

Now I want it to have a little more top speed. There are many linkages in the governor system, so I wanted to check with the board to see what I should adjust. I think I want to shorten the last leg of the linkage - the one that actually connects to the throttle plate. Is this correct? I know I can override the governor completely with a tie wrap on the throttle plate, but that makes for herky-jerky starts and a little more top speed than I want my crew chief to have in a golf cart...
    Updated by scott_nadeau; June 16, 2008, 06:39 PM.

That is some good information there Scott, glad you fixed it up! As for speed there is a screw attached to a cable linkage above the rear axle that will increase the speed as you tighten it. This runs a risk of damaging the rear axle if you put too much tension on the governor.
    Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
      That is some good information there Scott, glad you fixed it up! As for speed there is a screw attached to a cable linkage above the rear axle that will increase the speed as you tighten it. This runs a risk of damaging the rear axle if you put too much tension on the governor.
      You da man Matti! I goes plenty fast now. Plenty fast for my crew guy to get down the return road in a reasonable amount of time to pick me up, but slow enough for safety.

$450 well spent (cart + parts)!
      Updated by scott_nadeau; June 16, 2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X