Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G2 takes 5 minutes to finally fire right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G2 takes 5 minutes to finally fire right...

I am stumped on this one. I'm hoping someone can help.

This spring my G2 started acting "cold blooded" for about 10 seconds on startups before it would pull out of it & run fine. I blamed it on the cold weather. But as summer came, the problem gradually got worse - on cold startups, it would act up for 15 seconds. The week after it would take 20 seconds, then the week after that 30. Now, here in September, the warmup period is 4-5 minutes! To be specific, it basically fires here & there, but not every cycle, & it backfires on occasion too, then all of the sudden, it just pulls out of it & runs perfectly fine! It remains running fine until I stop the cart & let it sit for a while. Seems to be engine temperature related - warm engine = runs fine. Here's what I've done for diagnosis:

Cleaned Carb. (didn't help)
    Tried ether (didn't help)
    checked for fuel out of fuel pump. (there was fuel)
    Replaced spark plug (didn't help) (new plug is pretty black now)
    Replaced ignition coil. (didn't help)

I understand I could replace the "ignitor", but it's rare & expensive & I don't want to make that investment unless I'm sure it will fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Mike
    Updated by MichaelWater; September 23, 2012, 08:29 PM.

Having a similar problem, will let you know if I figure it out.

Comment

Posted earlier by jcg9 View Post
      Having a similar problem, will let you know if I figure it out.
      Great. I will keep you posted as well. I may bite the bullet & take it to the dealer, though I told him the problem over the phone & he said he's baffled.

Comment

If plug is black it means it running rich. It could be as simple as a clogged air filter, the choke is not opening, float sticking, plugged exhaust, poor compression. When a plug is black it is usually fouled and will not spark properly.
        However your first description is of a lean starting condition or a possible air leak in the intake system. In cleaning the carb did you make sure all the jets are open and clean or just blow it out. Usually poor starting is a lean condition and not enough fuel to run properly (plugged pilot jet). It is also possible the ignition is failing.
        Updated by Larry1950; September 28, 2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X