G1 just replaced brush holder will not turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1 just replaced brush holder will not turn over

Hi. Brand new to this great site. I have a G1 that I just purchased with the starter off and apart. I replaced brush holder and reassembled and installed. I hope I have the wiring correct( A1 and A2 to wires from relays above wheel well, battery positive to lower left side of starter when viewed from back side, and wire labeled F2 to upper right side of starter, two thin gauge wires are color coded and have connectors. When I attempted to put positive battery cable on it kept sparking. Now it does not spark when connecting and now the reverse chime noise does not sound when turning key to the left which it did before when I got it and it was apart. My battery reads 11.96 volts and I get this reading when checking between relays and also from battery to A1 or A2. Is this enough voltage and what should I be checking? Nothing happens when key is turned,also, does it matter if body is up for a connection or will it turn over with body up or down? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The kids can not wait to drive it, Thanks.
    Updated by zajani; August 28, 2012, 01:37 PM.

Posted earlier by zajani View Post
    hi. Brand new to this great site. I have a g1 that i just purchased with the starter off and apart. I replaced brush holder and reassembled and installed. I hope i have the wiring correct( a1 and a2 to wires from relays above wheel well, battery positive to lower left side of starter when viewed from back side, and wire labeled f2 to upper right side of starter, two thin gauge wires are color coded and have connectors. When i attempted to put positive battery cable on it kept sparking. Now it does not spark when connecting and now the reverse chime noise does not sound when turning key to the left which it did before when i got it and it was apart. My battery reads 11.96 volts and i get this reading when checking between relays and also from battery to a1 or a2. Is this enough voltage and what should i be checking? Nothing happens when key is turned,also, does it matter if body is up for a connection or will it turn over with body up or down? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The kids can not wait to drive it, thanks.
    hello, sounds like u blown a fuse check the 2 on the passenger rear finder,and it dont matter about the body up or down, im always running mine with it up, i dont drive it to much but i make sure i start it up every few days, good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I did blow a fuse ...repeatedly, and just discovered why. I got the cart with starter in pieces and installed new brush holder but after it kept shorting I looked at the old brush holder and found the insulator washer on the old terminal. I did not know they were used but thought something was missing. The terminals were shorting against the housing. I now have only one and am having a hard time trying to find one so I can put it back together. They are round insulators with square centers, anyone know where to find these? I know they are the same on EZ go and also some older John Deere. Thanks for any help. It is a Hitachi GSB107-02 starter generator.

Comment

I found some used insulator washers and had another short but luckily I had extra washers and changed again and now no short. Now, I can only get the engine to spin(slowly) in reverse only and just get a click from the voltage regulator in forward. I am charging the battery now because it was at 11.9 volts. Not sure if this was too low to turn the engine fast enough and only in one direction. Anyone know if this is a problem with the solenoid or where else I should be looking? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X