lost dip stick, oil sprays out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost dip stick, oil sprays out

My dip stick from my G16A cart came up missing. I noticed oil dripping from under my cart and after checking it appears that oil is spraying out of the dip stick holel. I could have just lost the dip stick or someone needed it worse than I did.
    My question is, should oil be spraying a mist out of the dip stick hole? Is the crank case pressurized? Is the fix as simple as getting a new dipstick or could the dip stick have been blown out due to pressure in the crank case that shouldn't be there.
    Thanks for any help.

If your going to run the cart plug hole untill you replace the dipstick. I'd guestimate the loss of oil and replace it. Is your low oil light on? Put oil in untill it turns off. Crankcase volume is only a quart so don't overfill. When you get a new dipstick you can fill acurately.

The crankcase is under pressure. That pressure feeds back (thru a 1/4" line) to operate your fuel pump. The blowback of oil is normal. I'd be very surprised if the pressure blew out the diptick.

Comment

Posted earlier by snopro View Post
      If your going to run the cart plug hole untill you replace the dipstick. I'd guestimate the loss of oil and replace it. Is your low oil light on? Put oil in untill it turns off. Crankcase volume is only a quart so don't overfill. When you get a new dipstick you can fill acurately.

The crankcase is under pressure. That pressure feeds back (thru a 1/4" line) to operate your fuel pump. The blowback of oil is normal. I'd be very surprised if the pressure blew out the diptick.
      Great answer.
      G16's are not pressurized in the traditional sence. The crank case does contain pressure which does feed the vacum for the fuel pump. But they operate on a "splash" system for lubrication of the engine components.
      Basically, not enough pressure to blow the dip stick out.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response, you confirm my assumptions. I did borrow a dipstick from a similar cart and it did not blow out when I test drove it. The oil level is still between the marks so based on the manual I am only about a cup low.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X