Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g14 starts then stalls

hello newbie here looking for some help
    bought my first cart a 1996 g 14 and it wasn't running. had a friend clean carb, change oil, change air and fuel filters and spark plug.now it will start and bog down with intake hooked to carb but if we pull intake it will run. any suggestions of what to look for now ? thanks

Did you get it figured out , mine is doing the same thing

Comment

Did you use the foam pre-filter ? If so take it out and only use the paper air filter and see if that helps. Maybe a fuel/air mixture adjustment needed.
      Updated by wthompson; March 12, 2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

have done just about everything,new exhaust,different coil,ignition box,new valves,different carb, ground strap from negative post to head,checked timing advance,checked compression,even with just the S shaped snorkle attached to carb it loads up, with nothing on carb it runs great.

Comment

have you turned carb adjustment screw in just snug then 1 1/2 turns out?

Comment

Yes, and i tried another carburator from another g 14 that runs good. Would you or the moderator have any way of contacting pinkrock via e-mail to see if they figured out thier cart problem

Comment

yes. my problem was I had to adjust the throttle cable. There is a button under the gas pedal that pushes down. mine wasn't pushing the button down all the way.

Comment

Thats what kept it from running with the intake tube hooked up to the carburator ?.

Comment

Something is blocking either the air filter, air box, or intake tube. Check for mouse, wasp nests. Does it run with the filter out? If the intake system is blocked its just like leaving the choke on. Pretty common for critters to build nests in those spaces. Start by removing the air filter and see if it runs. Make sure all intake passages are open and clean.

Comment

Wont run right with just the S shaped air snorkle on, loads up with black smoke out of the exhaust, A friend of mine has a g 14 and i tried swapping everything that would unbolt externally, no help. The only thing i haven't tried is the pick up coil under the flywheel, but it is working or it wouldn't run at all. Do you think that there is anyway possible the cam gear could of slipped a couple of degrees, most pictures i"ve seen of the cam and crank look like the gear is cast on then machined?

Comment

Black smoke is too much fuel. If there is nothing obstructing the tube, then has to be a carb problem. Sounds like the needle and seat are leaking or float level is way too high. Or the choke is not opening properly.
                      You say a friend cleaned the carb, did he do it properly? Could be the main jet is not in or loose.

See: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/ezgo-g...ing-101-a.html
                      Updated by Larry1950; March 20, 2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I cleaned my carb, with no help. Tried a carb off of a good running G 14 with no help

Comment

Have you tried sealing up the air box around the top. on mine the little rubber straps wasn't holding the top on tight. I used silicone. I read somewhere that G-14's were finicky if they sucked in air around the filter housing.

Comment

Going by the description the motor is going rich (not enough air too much fuel) by hooking up the intake tube. Most of today's carb need some restriction from the air intake system because they are jetted too lean. Now there are several possible causes of the above problem. The intake tube being pinched, clogged with something. Loose or missing main jet, leaking needle and seat, improper float level, leaking gasket between the head and carb. Low compression, valves not adjusted properly, fouled plugs,exhaust
                            plugged to mention a few. Might want to disconnect the exhaust an see if it still happens. Do a compression test and check valve lash.

Comment

Have done all of that, and swapped everything from a good running g 14 that would unbolt or unscrew, thats why i was wondering about the possibility of the cam gear slipping

Comment

Cam timing slipping is unlikely, unless something breaks. What is your valve clearance? and Compression reading. You can check valve timing by making sure both valve are closed at top dead center. Does the carb have a choke or enriching circuit? Can't see how just connecting the tube will make it go rich

Comment

My thoughts exactly, compression is 150 psi and clearance is set at .004 at tdc. I pulled the vent hose off of the valve cover and there is no pressure from blow by so i'm assuming running compression is ok. Wierd thing is it was running fine and then like flipping a light switch it went rich with the filter system hooked up. I do have the throttle cable running directly to the carb.

Comment

Kinda running out of ideas. Unless something when the tube is attached causes the choke to close or the choke is not opening all the way. Try removing the choke butterfly and see if it does the same thing. Make sure the choke cable is opening the choke all the way and holding it open. Dumb question you sure you have the choke and throttle cables to the right linkage?
                                    Updated by Larry1950; March 23, 2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I don't think anything is dumb at this point, cause i'm out of ideas too. Cables are hooked up correctly, has pretty heffty return spring on choke. I think i'm going to pull motor and check insides again. Going on vacation so it might be a week or so before i can post anymore but will update if i find anything. Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

• letitbe
                                        letitbe commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        A pulser coil can do this and keeps getting worse.
                                    Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                    X