G16E kingpins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G16E kingpins

Need help removing king pins and A-arm inner pivot bolts G16E please !!

Fitted new front tyres and discovered the underlying wear problem. At least 1/4" float on the lower bearing of the kingpin, about the same both sides. Yep those king pins are TIGHT, and the new plastic bushings looked thinner than the slop I could see, and since the knuckle didn't exactly want to 'drop' out, I am trying to take off the entire wishbone assembly to get better access to the kingpins / get them in a press.

So those 2 inner horizontal pivot bolts that hold the wishbone (with 14mm AF heads) sound like they are turning inside a rubber bush. When you remove their cotterpins, the threaded ends face each other on the inner faces of the wishbone ( A-arm whatever you like to call it)

DUDE these bolts insanely ( " I'm-ready-to-shear-my-head-off" ) TIGHT too.

Q1. Any ideas on how to withdraw them from the frame/A arm assembly ? Weld an extension to the heads and work them loose?, don't think drilling them through would work, they are too long. Tried to press them out with a G clamp, no joy. Maybe I have got to make a custom kind of puller.

Back to the kingpins, I have an exploded view of the assembly, and have removed the rollpin in the steering knuckle, but

Q2. are the kingpins designed to come out in the upward or downwards or either direction ?

Q3. What does the next quality level of golf cart do, design-wise ? My G16E seems a little 'cost reduced' in this area. Not many grease fittings or anything.

Thanks in advance

John

Hey Fishmouth5, welcome.

Q2 and Q3 King Pin: Downward. Don’t hammer it down hard, this can flare the top and make it impossible to get out. Hammer it back up and grind down the edges of the kingpin, this way it has room to bend and flare. Some heat can also help. What do you mean by the next quality of level golf cart

Q1 Unfortunately I'm not sure what you are talking about with the A arm pivot bolt.
    Regards

Comment

Hey Matti Thanks for picking up the thread. I will follow your advice on the kingpin.

For the other question, can I include photos or diagrams here ?

Thanks

John

Comment

What do you mean by the next quality of level golf cart

Well, I have nothing to compare my experiences to, this is the only GC I have worked on, but the dude down at the local parts shop opined that Yamaha designed their carts as 'throw away' compared to say EZ-GO, a philosophy of emphasizing replace rather than repair, i guess.

So is there, in the Golf Cart World, a hierarchy of design quality / cost as in perhaps Mercedes Benz, BMW, Ford, Skoda, Lada if you get my meaning.

( Oy, now I am in trouble with the car enthusiasts ) Its just an analogy people !!!!

Comment

Of course you can include pics, not in the quick reply box but in the advanced reply box you can see a spot where you can add pictures. There are more Yamaha G1's around today then Club Car or E-Z-Go's of that year, probably combined. Their engines are bulletproof.
          Regards

Comment

A little late but just in case you're still having problems...

There are roll pins that hold the king pins in. Make sure you remove them before trying to remove the king pin...

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X