G19 solenoid problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G19 solenoid problems

Hello, Just a little history first. Replaced a dead solenoid last year on my Yamaha G19 with an OEM solenoid and the cart worked fine. The batteries were getting old and eventually I figured out that one or two had bad cells. Replaced the batteries with brand new ones and the cart ran like new. Recently it just died suddenly a couple times and I narrowed it down to a loose post on that 8 month old solenoid. I drilled the rivets out on the solenoid and inside it appeared to have gotten hot enough to crack around the post and get loose and the points were really burned. Did my old batteries inflict damage to the solenoid? I read in another post that bad batteries can damage a solenoid. Is that true and do you think that's what happened here? Also do I need to use a pre-charge resistor across the solenoid as recommended by Alltrax to eliminate points burning in the solenoid? I have no hot rod parts and don't pull anything or use the cart under heavy or adverse conditions. Thanks, Robert

Hey rdaystom! Yes it is possible with bad batteries to hurt things like the controller and solenoid, but if you didnt run them down to zero it is very unlikley, so dont worry about that. How long have you been running on the new batteries?
    Regards

Comment

The cart was driven on the old batteries until it would virtually not move several times. We replaced the batteries a couple months ago and everything seemed fine until the solenoid went out. I just wonder if the solenoid damage was done while we ran it on dead batteries. I'd hate to replace the solenoid now and just fry it again if something else is wrong although I do no know what that would be. Have you ever used a resistor across the solenoid to reduce point burning?

Comment

When the batteries were very low, a chatter was developed in the solenoid. The precharge resistor is for the controller capacitors. It actually jumpers the voltage to the controller. G-16 did NOT come from the factory with a resistor. Was the solenoid a White-Rodgers? These are the best, since they have silver contacts. Also 3 times the price. A have seen dealers sell solenoids that are not OEM but look like it.
        The cart man in Raleigh.

Comment

wiring diagram here

http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/ima...aha%20G19E.pdf
          Updated by bonduranth; January 27, 2011, 03:44 PM.
          The cart man in Raleigh.

Comment

need some help with yamaha g19e. replaced battery now it wont move. i just replaced one battery and carefully check connections. any suggestions. thank you,

Comment

Posted earlier by jalmodo View Post
              need some help with yamaha g19e. replaced battery now it wont move. i just replaced one battery and carefully check connections. any suggestions. thank you,
              Do you hear anything? any noises when you press the pedal? If nothing, check your fuses. Make sure you hooked up your battery terminals right and didn't cross them
              Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X