G8 Forward/Reverse Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G8 Forward/Reverse Switch

I acquires a 1993 G8 36v Electric cart. Been sitting for some time and the batteries are dead. The reason batteries were dead is the forward/reverse switch is broken. The handle just spun around. In looking at the switch, it appears that a cotter pin is missing from the shaft that goes through to the back of the switch. All contacts and poles look very clean and not burnt as if there was too much heat.
    My question is: Is a cotter pin the only part needed to attach this shaft to the switch? I've seen pictures of the newer switches but I have a brass (or goldish looking) thing on the rear where the cotter pin would go. The shaft would be secured between this. But it looks as if there could have been another contact or something back there.
    I've been looking for an 'exploded view' of the switch, but I cannot find anything. Because the switch looks OK, I really don't want to fork out $300 for a new switch.

You can view the parts book here: http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsan.../default.aspx#

I attached the parts page that shows the some detail of the F/R switch.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files
    Updated by wthompson; October 17, 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks w! I removed the switch assembly, handle and all. Again, nothing is discolored nor rusty. The micro switches look good and click as normal.
      The handle section, I found, is the issue. Whomever used it last really wrenched on it and the handle spun around. There are two little plastic pieces that are to connect that disc connected to the handle shaft which turn a disc to activate the microswitches to forward or reverse. Those plastic pieces that fit into slots are broken off. Thus, the handle spins and cant select a direction.
      Is there a part available for just that? Dont want to spend $300 on a complete switch and I have a feeling Im wishing for alot!
      Also, will the batteries charge with this switch out of the loop? I plugged in the charger and got no hum, no nothing. Its a Lestronic II.
      Thanks for the help!

Comment

The charger needs to sense the pack voltage to turn on. Charge each battery one at the time with a 6 volt charger or two at the time in series with a 12 volt charger. Once they are all charged enough to hold close to 6 volts, reconnect them in cart and plug the charger in, it should come on if it doesn't you have a charger problem and we can deal with that later.

The F/R switch assembly does not look like it's is serviceable. I have searched and can't find any parts to repair it. You may want to call a Yamaha dealer and see if they can help with finding the parts ot repair.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Yes, thanks for the help!
          I've been charging batteries, and 4 of the 6 seem to be taking a charge. The 2 on the right side (passenger side) nearest the solenoid don't seem to be taking a charge too well. I'm getting a reading of 1-2v out of each after I've charged them.
          The other 4 seem to be accepting the charge well. They are reading between 5 and 6v.
          As for the charger, I replaced the fuse in it, as it was blown. In reading the Lester Electric literature found online for this, I'm hoping that's the problem and not diodes.
          A new F/R switch is $300 and a new charger is $300. Considering what I paid for the entire package I'm still not gonna be over my head with that extra $600, but, still don't wanna shell it out.
          Thanks W!

Comment

I would try to find two good used batteries and replace the two that won't take a charge. Or get a new set of batteries.
            The diode assembly can be replaced for around $25.00, that's usually why the fuse blows.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X