Issues with G9 electric cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with G9 electric cart

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and to golf carts also. I picked up an electric G9 from a buddy of mine yesterday. It hasn't ran in some time. When last running, my friend had left the seat forward/open and the sprinklers came on. Knowing my buddy, it happened more than once. After that, he said the cart ran for about 50 feet then stopped. After letting off pedal, he tried again and it went another short distance and stopped. it did that a couple more times and then that was it. It has sat since then. Just put charger on batteries but i dont have my volt meter with me today. Now, besides the obvious checking the batteries, can anyone point me in the right direction on trouble shooting this issue. Now Im a gas motor kind of guy and electric stuff confuses me. Thanks for your help.

At the heart of the yamaha g9e's operation is a series of 6 volt lead acid batteries arranged in a 36volt configuration. These batteries serve as the primary source of energy for the cart, providing power to the electric motor through a series of electrical circuits and components. To initiate movement, the driver activates the accelerator pedal, which sends a signal to the cart's solenoid.

When the accelerator pedal is depressed, it completes an electrical circuit, allowing current to flow from the batteries through a series of resistors and into the electric motor. The resistors in the circuit act to reduce the voltage supplied to the motor through heat dissipation, thereby controlling its speed. As the driver presses the pedal further, additional resistors are bypassed, allowing more current to flow to the motor, resulting in increased speed and acceleration.

For the cart to move and function normally, several key factors must be in place. First and foremost, the batteries must be in good condition, fully charged, and properly maintained. Old or depleted batteries can lead to diminished performance, reduced range or no movement at all. Additionally, all electrical connections, including those between the batteries, motor, and other components, must be clean, tight, and free of corrosion to minimize resistance and encourage efficient power delivery.

When your cart was exposed to water, there's potential for damage to electrical components such as the solenoid, and wiring. However, in this case, if the cart hasn't exhibited signs of damage or malfunction since the water exposure incident, it's possible that no significant harm occurred.......

More info on testing next post...
    Updated by Michael Eddie; last week.

Comment

Continued... Fully charge the batteries. Once charged, allow the batteries to rest for several hours to stabilize. Then, using a multimeter set to voltage mode, measure the voltage across each battery individually. A healthy battery should have a resting voltage around 6.3 to 6.4 volts. If any battery deviates significantly from this range, it may indicate a weak or failing cell and requires further testing or replacement.

Setting up your multimeter: Begin by turning the dial on your multimeter to the DCV (DC voltage) setting. This mode is typically indicated by a V with a straight line above it, denoting direct current. Next, identify the ports on the multimeter labeled for voltage measurements. Insert the black probe into the COM port and the red probe into the VΩmA or V port on your multimeter. With the multimeter set to DC voltage mode and the probes plugged in correctly, you're now ready to take voltage measurements.
      Before conducting an individual load test on each battery, make sure you've got a 6/12V load tester handy. You can pick one up online or at Harbor Freight. Start off by snapping some photos, labeling each connection for reference, and then get those battery cables disconnected. Then connect the load tester's positive and negative leads to the corresponding terminals on the battery being tested. Apply a load to the battery for a specified duration, typically around 10 seconds, and observe the voltage drop during the test. A healthy battery should maintain a stable voltage during the load test, with minimal voltage drop. If the voltage drops significantly or fails to recover after the load is removed, it indicates a weak or failing battery cell. Repeat this process for each battery in the pack to identify any potential issues and determine the overall health of the battery bank. This individual load testing method provides a more accurate assessment of each battery's condition compared to simply measuring resting voltage. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
      Updated by Michael Eddie; last week.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X