Advice on more torque for a G22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on more torque for a G22

I recently purchased a Yamaha G22 that was cosmetically upgraded with new seats, lift kit, wheels/tires, steering wheel, etc. I plan on using this for running around the neighborhood but also for off road skeet shooting. The electric motor (I read 4.5hp) and all drive gear is stock. It was originally used on a golf course.

Problem: I'm a big guy (275lbs) and plan on taking 1 or 2 other guys with me when we shoot. Going up hills gets pretty slow. I've been reading some about full motor, controller, solenoid, wiring replacement. Problem is most kits i've seen are $1300+.

Question: I would like to keep the torgue upgrade a little lower. Maybe around $500-$750. I've seen where you can send your motor in and get it rewound to produce more torque. Is this a reliable solution for less money? And if so, how do I determine what else I need to do?

I've really enjoyed reading the forum but can't seem to find an answer. Thanks for all your input and info in advance!!

What I would do is start with controller and wires 500.00 range that will give you lots more torque. Then next year go motor rebuild about 300.00

Comment

Thanks gaminde. Any advice on what type/size controller? Again, I'm totally new to this so not really sure where to even go for these parts. Thanks!

Comment

i would do at least a 500 amp. i usually do the 650. go with 4gage welding wire. find a shop that orderes from nivel- or buggies unlimited online will have em.

Comment

Thanks Pete. I appreciate the info. So you think changing the controller and wiring will help significantly with the torque using the stock motor too?

Comment

First how old are the batteries and what kind of shape are they in?

I'm going to add to this. Just another opition. When you buy the controller make sure it's programable and able to go to 48 volts or even higher.

Alltrax is my choice but there are others out there.

To get max torque out of a PQ motor you need to go to 48 volts!

Once you step up it's no looking back and you will have all the torque you need.

Cost of 48 volt conversion:
            Batteries 2 more =$200.00
            PQ motor $300
            48 volt charger $400.00
            Solenoid = $50.00
            Controller = $500.00
            Total = $1500.00
            Smile on your face = priceless!

You can wait until the batteries are needing to be replaced and buy 6 - 8 volts but 8-6 volts will give you a long ride time.
            sigpic
            I'm here to help!
            There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Glad to hear everyone is on the same page regarding a prelim upgrade. I will order a controller and 4awg wiring today. My cart is a 48V and the batteries are aabout 2 years old.

I've read some about solenoid replacements too. Is this something I should do with the contoller?

Thanks very much again for the feedback!

Comment

If you have a stock 200- 300 amp controller and upgrade to a 500 I would upgrade the solenoid also. If you don't you want see the full benfit of the controller because the solenoid is the limiting factor. The system is no better than the weak link of the sysytem.
                sigpic
                I'm here to help!
                There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Ordered the controller, solenoid, and wiring yesterday. Can't wait to install and feel the difference. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Great
                    now I would like to see some before, after and during pictures and a little write up on what you did what problems you encountered and overall how you think the project went. Oh yea and what you think of the new controller and performance!

Comment

Everything came in. I have help coming over on Thursday with a crimper to assist. I'll get some pictures and post along with results. Can't wait to "Feel the power". I have a feeling this is just the begining. LOL!

Comment

Everything is installed and MAN what a difference. Torque is amazingly more and I'm sure I gained at least 2+ MPH! I never measured the speed before so I can't say for sure but I am being conservative on the 2+ estimate. Going up a fairly steep hill the torque difference is incredible. Great advice guys, thanks!

Install was fairly straight forward but the guy helping me had a lot more knowledge in the electrical dept so that helped with some interpretation. We had about 3 hours of install time including making and installing all new wires.

I ordered the Alltrax 500amp controller, solenoid, and bulk wire wiring kit from buggies unlimited. I had some questions on which controller so called them direct. Henry was a big help and they got all materials out the next day. I believe the total cost was around $790. Definitely worth the investment. It's like driving a whole new QUICK cart now!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        X