Motor Controller wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Controller wiring

I have in my cart a Curtis controller part # CTL-2001-Y ( 24-36v 400a). I have just purchased the cart (98 G-16 36v) and am in the process of installing a new motor and would like to verify the controller wiring. I know this is an aftermarket controller and just want to be sure it's correct. Does anyone have a diagram of the controller so I may check for proper installation? The previous owner installed this and there are wires left not hooked to anything. The cart does run as it sits. It does start quickly mainly in reverse on occasion. I'm assuming its in the throttle.
    Thanks

I am unfamiliar with the model number you stated (CTL-2001-Y).
    You have a series cart and series controllers all wire up the same regardless of who made them.
    The Yamaha wiring diagram for your cart is located here: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/attach...ng-diagram.gif
    Here is another that is easier to read: http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf

Comment

Thank you. It does work so I'll leave it alone.

Comment

There should be a 1/2 speed reverse wire that may not be connected.
        Can you post a photo of what you have and what wires are disconnected?

Comment

Sorry for the delay. There are only 3 control terminals on the controler vs. 4 on the factory unit. The yellow/black wire is wire nutted together with the brown wire. the yellow - white -green are connected to the controller. The blue wire is also not connected to anything. I have just upgraded the motor to an 8 horse and replaced all the cables with #2 wire. It now really lunges from a dead stop like there is no soft start.
          Any Ideas?

Comment

The 3 wires (blue, white and green) are the throttle control wires and need to be connected.
            Have you checked the wiring diagram?

Comment

Yes I did. There are some discrepencies between the 2 drawings you posted. The factory one shows the blue white green as you stated but the other shows the blue wire not being used. I may have to contact Curtis for a manual on this controller. With only 3 terminals I'm not sure which one does what. It was obviously not intended to be a direct replacement for the factory controller. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I make out.

Comment

The one with the blue wire not used is with an Alltrax controller so that may have messed you up a little.
                I am still not familiar with your Curtis controller, it's a number I don't know. Their series controllers have model numbers like 1204, 1205, 1207 and 1209. They make an OEM ones for Ezgo called model 1206.
                You may be able to access some info on the Curtis website but I don't think it is specific to your cart. My experience with Curtis engineering is that it takes awhile to get an answer from them.
                If you can't get the info, let us know and we will do some digging.
                Updated by dougmcp; November 8, 2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Well it's been a couple of weeks and no response from Curtis. I think I'll try calling their tech line. I'm also going to e-mail the previous owner to see if he has any info that might help. The cart runs great and we're having a ball with it. If I can cure the rapid start issue I'll be one happy camper.

Comment

Could you double check the controller number, I can't find any reference to the first one you posted (CTL-2001-Y).
                    You're sure it's a Curtis? Most Yamahas that I know of came with a GE or Japanese controller.
                    Can you post a photo of that baby?

Comment

That's the # on the controller. I can't find any info on the unit as to who makes it. I did find one reference that is was made by curtis on the internet. Now I'm not sure. Pretty convinced it's not a golf cart controller. That may be my issue. There seams to be no soft start on this thing. I have searched and searched and can find no info on the unit.

Comment

Found it. It seams to be a curtis 1205 knock off. That should help.

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product...ctl-2001-y.htm

That's a rebuilt controller from FSIP
                        Check here for their wiring diagram: http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/G14-G16.pdf
                        Updated by dougmcp; November 26, 2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

You could still very well have the wrong controller for the cart, did it ever work correctly?

Controllers for carts come in4 general throttle control input types:
                          ITS - Inductive throttle
                          0-1K - Resistive throttle 0 ohms to 1000 ohms
                          0-5K - Resistive throttle 0 ohms to 5000 ohms
                          5-0K - Resistive throttle 5000 ohms to 0 ohms

I can't remember if your G-16 cart uses a 0-5K or the 0-1K throttle sensor.
                          You can check this with a meter to confirm, disconnect the 3 wire throttle position sensor from the wire harness. Check resistance (blue to green -1k or 5K ohms pedal any position), (whitee to green, should vary from 0-150 ohms with pedal at rest, up to 1K or 5k ohms pedal depressed. If you use an analog meter, it should evenly sweep to the top while slowly depressing accelerator pedal.
                          Updated by dougmcp; November 26, 2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

It never did work correctly. I'll test the throttle sensor and see what I have. Thanks.

Comment

I get on the blue to green 1188.
                              White to Green 38 at rest.
                              White to green from 100 to 1180 as i work the pedal.
                              Blue wire is capped off and white and green are on the lower 2 terminals and the yellow/brown is on the top terminal.

Comment

Well from what I'm reading the throttle in my cart is a 0-1000. According to the owners manual the controller requires a 0-5000. Will this cause the cart to lunge when pedal is depressed?

Comment

Seems as if the throttle is a 0-1K and appears to be working properly.
                                  I woke up early this morning knowing I had seen your controller somewhere and it is a LogiSystems controller not a Curtis.
                                  Do you only have 2 wires for your throttle hooked up?

Comment

Posted earlier by woodguy61 View Post
                                    Well from what I'm reading the throttle in my cart is a 0-1000. According to the owners manual the controller requires a 0-5000. Will this cause the cart to lunge when pedal is depressed?
                                    Do you have the owners manual for the controller or the cart?
                                    My messages are a little out of sync here, sorry about that, hope you can follow.

Comment

If you have 3 plug buttons on the side of your controller, the center one controls the ramp up speed of the throttle.
                                      Check this out for reference: http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/STAR%2...%20Ver%20I.pdf
                                      Another question: I know the cart takes off too fast but does it go full speed?
                                      Seems to me if you have a 0-1K throttle and it requires a 0-5K it would only go 1/4 of it's intended speed.
                                      Updated by dougmcp; November 27, 2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I do have 2 wires hooked up. And do have full throttle. It runs about 18 on the flat. The controller is not the same as the link you sent for the FS controller. It is identical to the one in this link. That calls it a Curtis Type 1205 and with the same model # as mine.

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product...ctl-2001-y.htm

I did see in the curtis 1205 owners manual about the adjustments. I havent played with that yet. It gives throttle response once moving but as soon as the solinoid pulls in it goes from a stop. There are also differences in wireing of the primary lines as stated in the diagrams vs the way my cart is wired. I don't want to change anything until I'm sure of what I am doing. Just smart enough to know my limitations. I also appreciate your help. Thanks.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                        X