Marine Batteries vs Trojans, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Batteries vs Trojans, etc

I had an older gas Sun Classic Yamaha (amazing machine....couldn't wear it out) but I sold it on ebay when I moved. Now I must go to elec to use my own cart on the course where I currently live. Found a good looking G-22 on Craig's list, but (in order to assess the true cost/value of the cart) I am gonna assume that the 5-yr old batteries are about "done". SOooo.....think could I install Marine Deep Cycle batteries (less than 1/2 the price of Trojans) and use them OK? Certainly that would never work for a golf course owner, but I never play more than 18 holes.....nor would I use it for super long trips around the retirement village where I live; i.e., I wouldn't envision them really ever getting "deep" cycled. Also, I don't believe physically securing them (they are slightly smaller in each dimension) would be a monster challenge. My aplolgies if this question has been asked a gazillion times (probably has) but I can't find any thread where it has been discussed. TIA....Ed Sievers, in TX.

Well, it all turns out that you get what you pay for. However, many people have had luck with Sam's Club Energizers. As long as they are maintained, kept charged, cleaned and watered they have a decent life.
    Regards

Comment

Marine deep cycle batteries IMO are not what you would want for a golf cart. They are not really a deep cycle battery but more of a dual purpose battery. basically a starting battery with thicker plates.
      Batteries that you will need are true deep cycle batteries made for golf carts or industrial machines like floor scrubbers, fork lifts etc.
      The key to longevity in batteries is monthly routine maintenance, without that, any battery you buy will not perform well.
      IMO the top rated batteries for golf carts would be Crown, US Battery and Trojan followed by Exide and Sam's Club Energizers.
      I had Trojans for 6 years and they were great batteries but also still have a set of Sam's Clubs from 2002 that still test out well.
      I did a 48v conversion to my cart about 5 months ago and selected the Sam's batteries as they had the same specs as the lighter duty Trojans and were less than $500 for the set. I could not justify the extra 40% in cost to go with Trojans. To date they have performed as well as any batteries I have owned and time will tell if they are as good as the last ones I bought.
      Updated by dougmcp; March 21, 2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

they key to keeping you batterys fresh and also to stretch out the years ofservice is to install a DESULPHANATOR in the cart....

every time you charge the batts you also will be DESULPHANING the plates

google batteryminder about $60

Comment

Posted earlier by forbruce View Post
          they key to keeping you batterys fresh and also to stretch out the years ofservice is to install a DESULPHANATOR in the cart....

every time you charge the batts you also will be DESULPHANING the plates

google batteryminder about $60
          Thanks for that info forbruce
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X