Charging issue-new cart owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging issue-new cart owner

Just purchased a 2000 model ez go 36volt cart. The previous owner had the charger apart trying to find an issue with the charger (Powerwise) when i purchased the cart. I purchased a new charger for the cart, but to my dismay this did not work! The new charger does not come on when plugged in to the cart, so there is obviously something else wrong. Batteries are Trojans and check out ok. Something appears to be preventing the charge getting to the batteries. Help, please! Thanks.

dcave1
    The powerwise charger has a circuit board with a timer. This is the most common problem when a powerwise charger goes bad. The charger must detect a minimum voltage to turn on. If the circuit board is bad it won't be able to detect that voltage. The circuit board is about $80.00 and is easily installed. Make sure if you do it your self that the charger is not plugged in when you are attempting to service the unit. Good luck.

Comment

Just a thought, but why don't you use a car battery charger and charge two of the cart batterys at a time for 30 mins or so to bring the voltage up. If the voltage is too low, like the poster above said, the powerwise won,t start up.

Comment

I got my 1995 EZGO for only $150 because the previous owner didn't realize the batteries were not charging. They were only two years old. He thought the speed controller was bad since that was what he was told by a golf cart mechanic.

When I got it, I found one battery at .32V and one at .28V. I bought a cheap 10A charger that did 6V and one by one brought each battery up to 6.2 volts. Then I hooked up the 20A 36V charger and bingo, it charged the batteries right up. The cart has run great since then. I installed a battery charge gauge on the dash, and this thing stays charged for quite a lot of driving, then charges back up rather quickly. I am glad the previous owner didn't understand batteries and charging.

Comment

If there is no insulator on the positive prong on the charger recepticle it could prevent the charger from making good contact on the cart side. If the voltage drops below 28.5 volts a powerwise charger will not pick it up. Trojan Batteries are marked with a date code in the negative post, a letter and a number. It could also be just a bad connection on one of the leads.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X