Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start? ressurrecting a golf cart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start? ressurrecting a golf cart.

My father bought an electric ezgo cart several years ago. It ran ok when he first bought it. It quickly began needing frequent charges. He was told it had new batteries (not sure that was the case). Soon after it would not hold a charge. It has sat unused for the the last few years. I would like to get it running again. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it, if something is seriously wrong. Where's the best place to start?

Hi, first off was it always charged? Did it ever sit uncharged over 30 days? Did you ever fully discharge the batteries? If so then you could have damaged the batteries making them unable to hold a full charge. It is also possible the previous owner lied. For sure, you will need to spend over $400 for batteries.
    Regards

Comment

When it was bought, the batteries were charged. Yes, the batteries were fully discharged. Yes, it has sat uncharged for over 30 days. What i'm curious about, since I've started researching batteries, is the maintenance (and cost). I'm not use to maintenance batteries. What are the specifics for taking care of new batteries if i choose to go through with it? Also, what are the chances something else is wrong with it. My inexperienced concern is that the motor might be failed as well. Do repair shops have a way of hooking the motor up to some type of transformer rectifier? That way they can run the motor at 36 volts and make sure that everything runs and is producing the proper amount of torque.

Comment

Yes a motor shop can test it. To maintain the batteries you have to keep an eye on the distilled water levels always. And keep them clean, never fully discharge them, and never let the cart sit for more than 30 days with out charging the batteries.
        Regards

Comment

Matti, thanks for your responses. It looks like i will take it in and get an inspection. At least from there i will have a starting point. If all is well batteries are a must. any information on these will be appreciated. What is the usual life expectancy? better brands? Also, I have been doing a little research on lift kits. I would like to do some light off roading. Are the bolt on kits with tires and wheels adequate? Thanks for your help.

Comment

The Trojan T-105's will get the best life out of all batteries if maintained and cleaned always. Lifespan is almost 5 years. Other brands will get about 3 - 4 years. The less you pay the less they will last. I'm not sure if you said it but what year is the ezgo, this will help me answer the lift kit question.
            Regards

Comment

Not sure the year. I will look for the number plate the next time i get to see it. Also, found an authorized dealer that would inspect it for $60. Sounds reasonable to me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

I just got a chance to take a look at it. In addition to batteries, it looks like there is a good bit of rust in the battery housing. I'm going to need new cables, battery clamp, and battery rack. I can find battery racks, just not for this yr and model (99 TXT). Where is the best place to order these parts?
                What's your opinion of the Sam's Club batteries?
                Also, with the lift kit I was advised not to go over 4 inches and 20 inch tires (so it is less likely to flip and still have enough power to get around) Found one online for @ $350, is that reasonable? The kit includes wheels and tires. Thanks for the help!
                Updated by 717drvr; September 8, 2009, 12:58 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

I hear some good and some bad on the Sam's Club Energizers. I will try for myself on my new project cart and let everyone know in a few years http://www.golfcart-forums.com/golf-....html#post1956 (or maybe less if they don't last).

Yes that lift kit is a good price, make sure it is a reputable dealer. You can also put yourself at risk to damaging the controller if you put too large of a tire.
                  Regards

Comment

Is it normal for the battery rack to rust out? And is it easy to replace? Should I replace all the cables or just give them a good cleaning?

Comment

Yea, all that acid and weather on it they all rust out over time if you don't maintain them by painting them. It is easy to replace, but you need to have welding experience. I would replace the cables when you replace the batteries.
                      Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X