Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery replacement

Collapse
This is a sticky topic. Sticky topics are carefully selected for their exceptional quality and relevance. These topics stand out for providing valuable insights, comprehensive information, and expert guidance on the subject matter. When you see this message, you're accessing top tier content that has been curated to deliver the most relevant and insightful information available.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery replacement

I have a 2012 Ez Go mpt. It was given to me so I don’t know much about it. It currently needs new batteries and the shop is offering 6 reconditioned gel batteries for $120 a piece. Should I entertain reconditioned batteries or just buy 6 new liquid batteries?

Hello and welcome! I'm glad you brought this up, I've witnessed firsthand the role that different batteries play in optimizing golf cart performance. When it comes to reliability and longevity, brand new Trojan batteries stand head and shoulders above the competition. Trojan batteries boast an impressive track record of durability and performance. Brand new Trojan batteries can deliver up to 35% longer cycle life compared to other brands providing years of reliable service. With a typical capacity of 225 amp hours and a discharge rate of 20 hours, these powerhouses provide unmatched performance and efficiency making them the top choice for many satisfied golf cart owners.

At the lower end of the spectrum, reconditioned batteries sometimes offer a cost effective solution for golf cart owners on a tight budget. However, approach reconditioned batteries with caution, as they often come with a host of drawbacks. Reconditioned batteries typically have a significantly shorter lifespan compared to new or well maintained used batteries, with some experiencing premature failure after just a few cycles. Additionally, reconditioned batteries are more prone to leaks around the terminals and other issues, potentially leading to costly repairs down the line. While they may offer initial savings, reconditioned batteries may end up costing more in the long run due to increased maintenance and replacement costs.

Regardless of the type of batteries you choose, proper maintenance is key for maximizing their lifespan and performance. I'm including some maintenance tips to keep your golf cart batteries in top condition:
    • Regularly check the water level in your batteries and top them up with distilled water as needed. Proper watering is important for preventing damage. Remove any automatic watering systems as they are prone to clogging.
    • Keep your batteries clean and free of corrosion. Use a mixture of baking soda and water to clean the terminals and connections regularly.
    • Avoid overcharging or over-discharging your batteries, as this can lead to premature wear and reduced lifespan.
    • Store your batteries properly during the offseason or when not in use. Keep them in a cool, dry location and use a battery maintainer to always keep them above 8 volts to prevent degradation.

Comment

Gel batteries utilize a gel electrolyte that immobilizes the electrolyte solution, making them ideal where spillage is a concern. On the other hand, liquid lead acid batteries, also known as flooded batteries, feature a liquid electrolyte solution that allows for efficient charge and discharge cycles. When it comes to the rate of charge, gel batteries typically have a slower charging rate compared to liquid lead acid batteries and may require a special slow rate charger. This slower charging rate is due to the gel electrolyte's composition, which inhibits rapid electrolyte movement and limits the battery's ability to accept high current charges. In contrast, classic liquid lead acid batteries can accept higher charging currents, allowing for faster charging times.

Comment

Thank you for all of that information! Are liduid batteries difficult to maintain? I rather go with a brand new set of batteries vs used gel batteries based solely on the fact that I feel I will get at least a few years on the new batteries. With the gel, I never know. Depends on how lucky I am. Is that a good way of looking at it?

Comment

Posted earlier by Mikerich View Post
          Thank you for all of that information! Are liduid batteries difficult to maintain? I rather go with a brand new set of batteries vs used gel batteries based solely on the fact that I feel I will get at least a few years on the new batteries. With the gel, I never know. Depends on how lucky I am. Is that a good way of looking at it?
          You're absolutely right to lean towards fresh new liquid lead acid batteries like Trojan. Buying new means you're dodging the mystery surrounding refurbished batteries. Let's not forget the most common oopsie: folks splurge on top notch batteries and then totally ghost them during the offseason. It's kind of like buying a brand new Ferrari and then leaving it parked out in the rain and snow. As far as maintenance goes, lead acid batteries chug the most water when they're working hard, so keep an eye on those water levels especially after heavy use or heavy charging. Aside from that, a scrub with solution every season to keep the gunk at bay couldn't hurt. Costco and Sam's Club batteries are often in the spotlight too. They're decent options, but they tend to offer fewer charge cycles compared to top tier brands.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X