First post - Cart not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post - Cart not running

Greetings all, first post. 6 years ago, I inherited a 1995 EZGO Medalist DCS golf cart that was in great condition and had always run fine, but at the time I got it, the batteries were worn out. My family member had owned it since 1998. It was used as a neighborhood cart. It was always garaged prior to my owning it and I have had it in a garage for the 6 years that I have owned it. Getting this cart running has been low on the priority list until now; this weekend I started working on it. I’m dealing with 2 problems. The first is that the cart is not running that after replacing the batteries, and the second is that the original Power Wise charger is not working (I’ll post about the charger separately).

PROBLEM #1: This weekend, I bought 6 new batteries and changed out the old, dead batteries. I cleaned up the battery tray, repainted it, installed the new batteries, triple checked that I had them connected correctly, turned on the ignition switch, toggled the direction control switch to “F”, and stepped on the go-pedal…….nothing……but I did hear a click, which I presume is a solenoid. I toggled the direction control switch to “R”, stepped on the go pedal, and again, nothing except for the sound of the click. Since my charger is not working, I was hoping the new batteries would result in a running cart so that I would then only have to deal with the dead charger. I checked the specific gravity of all 6 new batteries, and that reading ranged between 1200 & 1250, so they should have enough juice to move the cart, if all else is working.

I do have the EZGO Medalist DCS Technician’s Repair and Service Manual. I’m a retired builder and pretty mechanically inclined. I have a Fluke meter and can follow wiring instructions, BUT…..there’s a lot about electricity I don’t fully understand. I can wire a house, but I don’t necessarily understand everything I’m doing….I’m following instructions. I know my limitations. I don’t know anything about electronics, like the function of a diode, etc. I can do electronics soldering. I can replace things, no problem. So, I could replace switches or modules, but I’d be pretty worthless trying to diagnose which component is not working on a circuit board. But, I might be able to determine that a circuit board is not working if instructed how to do so and then I would be capable of replacing the circuit board.

So, with those caveats, can anyone give me an idea of where to start troubleshooting the cart not running? Thanks.

This forum seems to be abandoned right now Noone answers anyone try cartaholics

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X